Incident on the Spiegel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This story is very interesting.....read every post....its like a cliffhanger......What's the rest of the story??

This story is very interesting.....read every post....its like a cliffhanger......What's the rest of the story??

The OP has not been on SB (at least signed in) since 2012, so there is no rest of the story.

Ha, the rest of the story was that four months later, the boat, the Get Wet, capsized, injuring seven and killing one. The owners, who talked us into getting our advanced, had fled the country to the Bahamas where they were eventually apprehended. It had made all the news at the time. A lawyer for the victim had called me at one point to ask questions about my incident. Although the instructor took us on what I felt was a very unsafe dive, I don't believe that it was tied to the eventually capsizing of the boat, I spent a long time thinking about if I could have changed anything.

Ironically, the captain of the boat, a young man named John, was asked by the owners to bring paperwork and other supplies to the couple in the Bahamas as they wanted to set up another shop. That boat also capsized en route as the story has it, although the captain was rescued.

Oh, and this comes up because I moved to Boca Raton about 4 weeks ago, and hope to do shallow dives once I see a doctor for a thorough check up. I will be starting over in the learning process, and I have a new, MUCH better wife who is an experienced diver who wants to ensure that if I do it, I take it on carefully.

@Tommy Tutone, were you ever evaluated for a PFO? I have to admit, that was one working diagnosis for me by the time I got to Dr. Ebersole's excellent post.

Diving Doc

I will share the results of my tests as soon as I get them here, as well as with DAN, so that the knowledge can be used for future research. Honestly, other than the medication and the fact that my jogging has been put on hold until the results come back (can't risk a seizure while jogging alone, and then getting sucked up by the kudzu), I feel great. Still, I am torn with what to do with the diving instruction. On the one hand, again, I don't know that I blame them for what happened to me, still working that out, but on the other, they need to be aware, unless I am mistaken, that their education is not up to standards, and in fact, really bad from what I can tell. For anyone who has made it this far through my post, your feedback is very much welcome.
Welcome back.
So what happened then? It has been a long wait.

I understand that the owners of the "Get We" (the "t' fell off), have been sentenced?

Pretty wild to see this thread show up on my 'Watched Threads' page after so many years. IIRC, this incident might have been the reason I signed up for SB in the first place.

Tommy, it is nice to read that you are doing well and looking to get back in the water. Also, congrats on what sounds like your recent marriage.

Back
Top Bottom