• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Incompetent And Unaware: We Don't Know What We Don't Know...

Discussion in 'Basic Scuba Discussions' started by GLOC, Apr 28, 2016.

1. GLOC

GLOC Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I have just finished two presentations at DEMA, one was a modification of this and the other was a more general post about Human Factors and why it is important to the development and improvement of diving safety. I offered a discount to DEMA attendees and speaking with Elena, she said I should update the article on the front page with the DEMA discount code which I will do once I work out how to edit the article! In the meantime, the code is DEMA2016 and is valid until 21 Nov 2016.

2. FCuttle

FCuttle Angel Fish

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    It reminds me of the Donald Rumsfeld quote:

"There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know."

EireDiver606 and urbaneve71 like this.
  3. Fransw

Fransw Angel Fish

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    Gloc, thanks, very good article and good to be reminded of this. It is also a big concern in the aviation industry..

GLOC likes this.
  4. MikadoWu

MikadoWu Barracuda

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I know, that I do not know stuff. And correctly, I do not know, what I do not know. The hard part is, "I do not know, what the instructors do not know". After watching over a few friends OW classes, I was surprised by all the difference that are taught, omitted or missing.

I decided last month to take 2 Peak Performance type classes. 1 with a Cave diving instructor and 1 with much older and crusty, but I like him anyways, Ocean diver.

I am hoping to get some different points of very and combined some knowledge.

GLOC likes this.
  5. Per Abich

Per Abich Garibaldi

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    I have been doing other sports before that contain a certain element of risk, and I learned that you really need to have a climate where you have a low
    threshold for reporting an incident. It needs to be a normal fact of life that you report an incident every now and then.

You were diving during the day and noticed you forgot to connect the battery inside you canister light - even though you had a perfect backup light and would be fine even without a light? Report it. Discovered a leak in your equipment? Report it.

This leads then to a much more safety oriented culture. And you should of course never blame people on the back of reports. Use the reports to find trends, maybe pusblish some of the reports in anonymized form.

The best way to achieve this is by having a easy to use online logbook that has a simple reporting function. It might be a simple as having a field for "What did go wrong?" for private visibility or something that collects the data.

The problem I see in scuba diving is that few people (in my experience) log their dives, especially not online - and there are lots of online logbooks out there who do not do any kind of cooperation.

Maybe some Organization like DAN should offer a API where a online logbook could add a report incident button that sends the dive to a reporting site.

Subcooled and EireDiver606 like this.
  6. Brian Smith

Brian Smith Angel Fish

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I really agree with this comment. We all tend to get caught up in our ways of doing things and we need to continue to force ourselves outside the box.

7. MichaelWilliams42

MichaelWilliams42 Garibaldi

That's a great article. That thinking really does apply to all areas of life. It's important to always remember your weakness so you can take steps to minimize your risks.

8. peterak

peterak Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I must be in the bottom quartile. I can't get the graphics or videos in the article linked to by the OP to show up. They seem to be 404-style missing.

9. Coldbloodeddivers

Coldbloodeddivers Banned

# of Dives: I just don't log dives