Increased conservatism?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

> When I encounter heavy current I aboard the dive.
> When I do deep dives or Deco dives I calculate my Gas consumption on high rate, not actual, so I have more gas than required plus the extra gas.

My gradient factors have changed to provide what I believe is more conservatism. I will often also continue breathing my O2 after a deco dive for 5 or so minutes at the surface, while I'm humping my gear to the truck and catching my breath. I focus on my hydration too, and will take advil an hour or so before a dive to try and reduce inflammatory response brought on by bubbles coursing through my blood stream.

My gradient factors have changed to provide what I believe is more conservatism.
How so?

Different people have different opinions on how you change them to make them more conservative.

By raising my GF lo to get off the bottom faster.
I agree, but that is not the way a lot of people see it. They see staying deep longer as being more conservative.

I've heard there are some people who still think the earth is flat.

Well I've been taught to 1. stay "well within my limits" computers are not accurate, because every person is different. Someone may be athletic, someone may have a higher body fat percentage, and someone.. I mean everyone's predisposition to DCS or narcosis is going to be different so abiding by your computer may not prevent anything from happening but staying "we'll within the limits" can reduce the risk.

2. and to set a "personal limit." just because you're advanced diver doesn't mean you have to go down to 90 or 100ft...if you feel more comfortable at 70-80 at a specific location then that can be your personal limit for that dive that day.

If I look at the trajectory over the past few years, I would say overall my diving seems to have gotten a little more aggressive. However, I tend to go on a case by case approach and evaluate the conditions for each dive including my own readiness and how sharp I'm feeling.

Has it been a while since I got in the water? How fit am I ? Have I done a few dives and worked my way up? brought down my SAC rate a little from the beginning of the diving season? tightened up my skills - particularly the ones needed for the specific dive at hand?

How am I feeling that day... well rested and well hydrated? relaxed? etc...

So really, I evaluate where things are with respect to my overall condition and how the circumstances and dive conditions are on that particular day - then plan accordingly.

...computers are not accurate.

Dive computers are accurate, but they only do the math. They are automatic dive tables giving a second by second determination of the no deco time left on the dive. It is just an algorithm, made to keep most people safe.

As for a divers personal seceptability to DCS, it has a lot of factors and is not anything an algorithm can, or should, correct for. It is in the divers best interest to understand how diving affects them and select an algorithm which is appropriately conservative for them.

Bob

Dive computers are accurate, but they only do the math. They are automatic dive tables giving a second by second determination of the no deco time left on the dive. It is just an algorithm, made to keep most people safe.

As for a divers personal seceptability to DCS, it has a lot of factors and is not anything an algorithm can, or should, correct for. It is in the divers best interest to understand how diving affects them and select an algorithm which is appropriately conservative for them.

Bob
They are precise, but not particularly accurate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom