INDONESIA - 2021 Cancellations Ahead, is your booking at risk?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello elegant...

I sincerely hope your plans work out. The positive is that a trip to Raja Ampat is always worth the wait and delays. I have group trips planned for 2020 that have moved to 2021 and now into 2022 and 2023. I hope that with the help from other countries, Indonesia will be able to slowly achieve some level of vaccination in the population. I can't imagine the logistics trying to provide medical services throughout all the provinces. Look at the challenges Australia, the UK, Europe, and the US are facing even with technology on their side. I am not a pessimist but I personally believe the "new normal" will be something different from what we left behind in 2020.

The upside for the dive community seems to be that destinations that have opened with the restrictions in place are doing well. Liveaboards to the Socorros, Galapagos, the Red Sea, and Maldives have had some initial challenges but are successful in opening and getting folks diving. And of course favorites like Curacao, Bonaire, Cozumel, Roatan, and some Caribbean islands have managed to open their borders.

Hopefully we will get back to where dive planning doesn't include a PCR test.

Greg

I was supposed to have gone to Raja Ampat in March 2020. The liveaboard operator allowed me to defer the trip so was planning to head out in late Sept/early Oct but was recently informed today that the trip is officially cancelled given the worsening Covid situation in Indonesia (a month ago, I was already hesitant to make this trip). Fortunately, I am able to reschedule for a future TBD date.

It sounds pretty terrible and feel for the locals who have to go through this in Indonesia. In the states, we are very fortunate to have access to multiple vaccines that helps mitigate severity. Here's to moving on from Covid...hopefully we all can return to a reasonable normal, be able to live life more fully and for this community, dive again.

Prayers to all who has been impacted by this disease.

@elegant _hyllidia

Are you comfortable sharing the name of the boat?

Have you looked at their upcoming scheduling for open slots that will fit your schedule?

The cases in Indonesia are going down. Hopefully Indonesia would be open by the end of 2021.

01878CC1-2A86-4594-8B4D-26516DE7480C.jpeg

The cases in Indonesia are going down. Hopefully Indonesia would be open by the end of 2021.

View attachment 677360
With less than 120.000 (hundred twenty thousand) people out of 277 million being tested daily the last week. Before it was not much as well, but at least 240.000 people daily. 10% of the population fully vaccinated now. Only positive number is that less hospital beds are occupied.

The testing went down 50%. And testing happens mostly at Java and Bali. Example: one whole family sick with covid in Bitung (North Sulawesi). Fortunately all vaccinated and only one in hospital. Not one single direct contact of them have been tested. In East Indonesia many people get sick, but too afraid to be tested. They die at home instead of in the hospital. By the way, yesterday 22.053 new cases. 1.000 of them at Bali. Only 2% of the population of Indonesia live at Bali. There are many positive cases in all 34 provinces of Indonesia. With this in mind one would guess that the real number should be at least 50.000 new cases for Indonesia yesterday.

Much better than what we have here in the US even though the vaccination rate in the US is much higher. I hope it stays low there so that I can escape to tropical paradise soon.
I think you have a complete wrong impression of the reality here in Indonesia. 88% of our population is not fully vaccinated yet. Testing is hardly taking place in many parts of the country. Bali is one of the places with highest testing and vaccination. Yesterday 54 official covid deaths, many without any comorbidities. Population less than 5 million (2% of total Indonesia population).

What is beginning to sink in is that vaccines are only effective for a limited time - six months, a year doesn’t really matter. The fact that they will need to be boosted on a regular basis means that most of the world’s population is likely not ever going to get an effective vaccine for this. We are going to have to figure out how to either fix that or live with it. Does not bode well for the travel industry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom