INDONESIA - 2021 Cancellations Ahead, is your booking at risk?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder as people get vaccinated and things begin to return to normal will folks ever trust destinations with a deposit again. I know I wouldn't. Using domestic travel agents who keep a deposit in escrow might be a good middle ground. Have Indonesian operators started doing this yet?

I wonder as people get vaccinated and things begin to return to normal will folks ever trust destinations with a deposit again. I know I wouldn't. Using domestic travel agents who keep a deposit in escrow might be a good middle ground. Have Indonesian operators started doing this yet?

Me neither, particularly if you are booking out more than 6 months in advance. Too many variables for the near term.

In the past couple of years we have always paid a bit more on one particular booking site for fully refundable reservations that we pay in advance. Much quicker than having to deal with trip cancellation/interruption insurance.

It's worth noting that while in theory science is apolitical (it's conducted by humans, and not much involving groups of humans is fully apolitical), its applications are not. Science may give us a 'best guess' estimated range of values (e.g.: how long until how much ecological damage from climate change is likely to affect an area) for a matter of interest. Occasionally it gives us a definite answer (e.g.: yes/no, 1+1=2, etc...), but sometimes an estimated range with a confidence interval or similar.

But...what we do with the science gets political fast. An organization like the CDC can draw on research studies and have actuaries calculate things like the estimated odds of one of us catching SARS-Covid-2 on a given trip (say, to Cozumel, or Raja Ampat) despite good preventive practices, the odds of that case being a clinically significant variant, the odds of spreading that variant to other nations (e.g.: bring it up, or infect another traveller bound elsewhere), etc...

What science doesn't do is make the value-based judgment call as to what level of risk is acceptable, and what level is not. So, if I say I'm a 51 year old guy in America who's had both doses of the Moderna vaccine and I'm moderate on prevention practices, and I submit a travel plan to a given destination, they could number crunch my risks. But their analysis won't say what's safe enough (or not) until a human(s) set the bar.

Already before this pandemic we did not ask for any deposit. However, we asked people to send a copy of the flight tickets by email to us to confirm the reservation. Worked always fine for both parties. But it makes it almost impossible to work with agents/travel operators.

MOD will deal with it.
Since I've posted in the thread, I can't moderate it, but allow me a personal reflection:

Do you seriously think that you can post whatever off-topic and/or inflaming crap you can think of, and then put the onus on the Mod Corps to clean up after you? What happened to that "personal responsibility" thing?

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This is a Scuba travel thread.
Politics are not allowed.
Please confine all discussions about politics and/or religion to our Pub subforum.
This includes any biased names you may want to give Covid/Sars2.
Thanks.​

My trip in April is officially cancelled, looking like no Raja yet. :(

My April/May trip to Thailand (Phuket) and Indonesia (Manado - Gangga/NAD) is now delayed again. Future dates unknown as there are almost no flights and borders are closed to tourists.

I'm not going to say cancelled as resorts have been kind enough to delay bookings more than once.

My trip in April is officially cancelled, looking like no Raja yet. :(

:(

My April/May trip to Thailand (Phuket) and Indonesia (Manado - Gangga/NAD) is now delayed again. Future dates unknown as there are almost no flights and borders are closed to tourists.

I'm not going to say cancelled as resorts have been kind enough to delay bookings more than once.

You aren't willing to do the SVQ in order to enjoy Thailand with almost no tourists?

I understand that you had intended a double country trip but there are some other compensations in Thailand right now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom