Indonesia Vs. Fiji?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What's most special about Fiji is soft coral, and the soft coral opens up in current, the stronger the better. I'd wait until you're more comfortable with current to go to Fiji. Raja has some dives that are best in strong current but a lot of dives that work well in moderate to no current. Indo also has great diving where current is not an issue. Lembeh is one of my favorite places. And while I've only done a little bit of diving there, Tulamben in Bali is excellent. Neither require diving in current. Finally, in RA, I'd recommend both Papua Paradise and Papua Explorers if you're looking for land resorts.

Thanks to all for your insights, very helpful!

I am actually now more enclined to spend this holiday working on my skills and gaining experience. I can always go to Fiji later this year or 2019.

As for RA, it seems that August may not be the best time to go, from what I've read - including reports from Dan. So I may save it for a week in November or towards end of year.

I'm in Hong Kong, so Asia is next door, I can always go for short getaways.

Which place would you suggest then to work on skills / learning (i'd like to do some more specialty dives like deep diver, UW photography, Nitrox, Night diver, Wreck diving) ?

=> Indo (Bali, Gili, Sulawesi, Moyo)?
=> Koh Tao?

Thanks again :)

Mike

Gillis for skill development then to padang Bai or nusa lembongan for a couple of days for Mola Mola and manta and some exposure to drift diving.

NOT Koh Tao!!!! DO NOT!!!

For additional training head to either the Gilli's (cool place to chill out) or my suggestion would be Tulamben. Tulamben has some great chilled diving. Check out my Flikr account for a taste of what to expect from my last few trips there... or look through some of my trip reports.
Then follow what the Dirt man said above.

Fiji has lots of current diving also.
In both places if you want to lessen your exposure avoid the new and full moon phases.
I've been on sites in Komodo with blazing fast current and on the same site with no current. Tides change and that makes sites change.

A reputable dive operation in both places will inform you of what to do and most importantly stick with your guide. They will also judge your ability before dropping you on a site with a negative entry where you have to kick like hell to 20 meters and then hook into a reef to watch the show.

I just got back from a liveaboard in Komodo around the full moon. Also did the Somosomo Strait (Taveuni Fiji) last year.

I would say we experienced stronger current, and significantly more drift diving while in Fiji compared to Komodo.

A key difference, in my mind, was
  • screw up in Fiji with the current and you burn through air cutting the dive short, and maybe you run into coral like an idiot
  • screw up in Komodo, or get really unlucky, you get pulled in a potentially lethal down current or swept out to sea and nobody knows where you are

I really disliked the Gillis. Dived a number of sites and all were blah. I have done Amed/Tulamben but have heard great things. I love Nusa Lembongan and there can be strong currents but unless it's Mangrove, they are usually manageable.

I've been in Raja Ampat in 2013 & 2014. Always since I was looking for something similar, something which would blow my mind the same as R4. It always depends on what you want to see. I'm very keen on a complete dive destination with nice corals, a lot of critters but also big schools of fish & the occasional big fish. And that's what i got in Raja.

In Fiji i loved the healthy corals and also the big animals. What i didn't like too much were the descends in the blue (i get dizzy without reference easily..). The currents were strong and in my opinion for advanced divers. What I also missed in Fiji was the biodiversity, the critters.

Raja was much calmer, even if there where strong currents I felt I could handle them easily. You can dive Raja the whole year. There might be some wind & waves in August but much less divers and some say better visibility than in high season..

So for me, it depends on what you want to see. I started to love critters only around my 300th dive. Before I was very much into big stuff, corals, rays and turtles...

Not sure how safety conscious the home-stays are...and this becomes a serious issue given 1) new diver and 2) the possibility of some pretty decent currents.

This is vague, but to do a week at a resort that includes diving and non diver activities in Fiji, and a week at the Same style resort at RA or another exceptional diving destination in Indonesia, what would a rough price per day be for each? I’d like to do three dives per day and my girlfriend would snorkel and do non scuba activities. So a Liveaboard wouldn’t work for us. Thanks !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom