Indonesia with Dive Damai 2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Allison Finch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Well, the trip didn't go off as hoped for. But, with a wonderful company like Dive Damai, they made it a great experience anyway.

We had a wonderful week in Ambon. I found thw very BEST place to shoot mandarin fish, and it is right in the harbor. Go figure!

Wmandarinduel.jpg

Wmandarinlovers.jpg

The harbor had everything in it, especially junk. I could have spent the whole week just there.

Wornate.jpg

We then flew to West Papua to board the Damai. Wow! what an incredible boat. We had a free masseur at our disposal throughout the trip. The boat is a traditional design. But, where most of these types of boats cram many divers onboard, this boat only takes a few. My cabin spanned the whole width of the boat, had a bathtub and shower and a KING sized bed (really handy when the huge waves and bad weather hit.

Over 130 feet of true luxury.

msy-damai-liveaboard-3.jpg

My cabin

msy-damai-liveaboard-9.jpg

The only drawback, it is a heavy ship and it only has one engine. More on that later......

Mike Veitch was a fabulous host. he has made sure the facilities for photographers is very nice. He explained why there were goats feet tied to the bow and stern of the ship. We brought a Rummy Cube game, which he quickly mastered, even with 15 foot seas!!

Our itinerary was to head from port and go to the south side of WP to Triton Bay. We were getting very strong winds which made any open water tricky. We got to Triton after stopping along the way for a few dives. One of these dives had colonial anemones everywhere. They were about the only ones we saw on the whole trip.

Wcolonial.jpg

More on the next post

---------- Post added ----------

Triton Bay

This is a huge bay that only recently has seen diver action. It is still seldom dived as it is difficult to get to. Once there, you will never want to leave. Even though the Damai works hard to maintain friendly relations with the local tribes, there is often tension between them and the few boats that dive this area.

I was lucky to be the last diver up from a night dive. In those last moments, I found the only walking shark seen on the trip. my guide, who stayed with me, was thrilled.
Wwalkingshark2.jpg

I finally got to see the harlequin shrimp that have eluded me all of these years

Wharlequin9.jpg

SO, after diving Triton, we were to head due south and, after a long open water crossing, we were to island hop on islands that have never been dived. We were to end up on Timor at the end, flying out from there. Well, the winds were totally against us. We were unable to make ANY headway there. We aborted and went back to Triton. We then headed back up the coast and went into a bay where our engine died. Luckily, there was good diving. After two days where we were able to fix the engine, we had to give up on out attempt for Timor. We headed, instead, int Raja Ampat.

Though I was disappointed in not being able to do exploratory diving, having been in RA, I knew we would find good diving.

A few photos

Wyellowclingfish2.jpg

Wpygmy2.jpg

Wghostduo.jpg

W-backoff.jpg

So, then it was obvious our airline tickets from Timor were no good. The Damai office booked tickets from Ambon. They thought, for sure, we would be able to get there. NOPE! The winds prevented that. So, our tickets from Ambon were no good either. So they rebooked us flying from Sorong. Now, we had to get there.

Sadly, we got the news of the Mandarin Siren sinking in Raja. Luckily, no one hurt. What a tragic loss for a great company that I have enjoyed diving with.

On our last dives before getting to Sorong we stopped at a place called "Algae Patch". It is one of the best muck dives ever! I finally found my blue ring octo that I had been looking for. However, he never did fell threatened enough (and I sure tried) to flash more than a few rings.

Wbluering7.jpg

Wbluering6.jpg

Wbluering2.jpg

These photos are still mostly unedited (except for a few quick and dirty edits). I still have not even viewed many of them. Someday I will look at them in Photoshop and see if there is something worth looking at.

Even though the trip schedule ended up being a disappointment, we found excellent diving. The Dive Damai office did a fabulous job of taking care of all of the flights and arrangements at no cost to us. The boat was luxurious and the food dangerously good. I would highly recommend this company to anyone looking for an "ultimate" adventure. While the "boutique" dive experience was a bit pricey, I suggest it is well worth it for a lifetime of memories.

Nice trip report. Thanks for posting. I am sorry to hear that you could not do the itinerary you planned, but it looks like you still had a great trip.

I am curious about Triton Bay. I have heard conflicting reports on the area, one person saying that he thought it was only good for muck diving, and another report saying it also had beautiful reefs with soft coral scenery. How would you describe it?

Thanks.

It had both! I would say more reef than muck. But, I am a confirmed mucker and it had enough to keep me interested.

Excellent. Sounds wonderful.

Thanks for the information.

Surprisingly easy transit home, if you could EVER call the marathon flying easy. We were able to make all of the connections we had planned once back in Bali.

Funny thing though, We were put on the flight out of Sorong that stopped at every island airport. We were worried as we didn't see our bags get loaded. When we got off the plane in Bali, our bags were waiting for us. Evidently, they got on a direct cargo flight. I will have to say, though, we got hit at every airport for overweight bags. Needless to say....when you have 45 pounds of photo equip, all dive gear and ANY clothing, you will be over all the limits. Oh, well....

A few more pics. I still haven't put any of these through PS. Someday I will.....

This little guy had to hold onto the coral nub to give me an adequate threat

W-stayaway.jpg

Wyellowcrinoidshrimp.jpg

Wtinyharlequin3.jpg

This tiny fearless octo was the size of my thumbnail. Any ID guesses?

Wunknowntinyocto.jpg

Yeah, I took wide angle, but I didn't get to it as much as I should have

Wsponge.jpg

We found some fabulous solar powered nudis. Huge, with the symbiotic algae that feeds it through photosynthesis. So cool....

Wsolarpowerednudi.jpg

Awesome, Allison. Beautiful images. I saw this trip beforehand and thought it would be an amazing trip. Sorry to hear not exactly as planned. In the past, our trip back to Bali from Komodo was reduced to 4 knots by a strong storm, so I know how that can work.

Users with Photoshop would die for what you are getting straight out of the camera. :)

These aren't straight out of the camera. A couple have some minor crops. Just done as quick and dirty. Once I get the time to put them through PS, they may be much better (hopefully). Heck, I have several cards I haven't even checked yet!

Great trip report and photos! We once were scheduled to dive Triton Bay and there was trouble with the locals so they would not let us dive. We went to Fak Fak instead and it was pretty bad there. Oh well, one day I would like to make it back there!

Was Made onboard when you were there?
Well, the trip didn't go off as hoped for. But, with a wonderful company like Dive Damai, they made it a great experience anyway.

We had a wonderful week in Ambon. I found thw very BEST place to shoot mandarin fish, and it is right in the harbor. Go figure!

Wmandarinduel.jpg

Wmandarinlovers.jpg

The harbor had everything in it, especially junk. I could have spent the whole week just there.

Wornate.jpg

We then flew to West Papua to board the Damai. Wow! what an incredible boat. We had a free masseur at our disposal throughout the trip. The boat is a traditional design. But, where most of these types of boats cram many divers onboard, this boat only takes a few. My cabin spanned the whole width of the boat, had a bathtub and shower and a KING sized bed (really handy when the huge waves and bad weather hit.

Over 130 feet of true luxury.

msy-damai-liveaboard-3.jpg

My cabin

msy-damai-liveaboard-9.jpg

The only drawback, it is a heavy ship and it only has one engine. More on that later......

Mike Veitch was a fabulous host. he has made sure the facilities for photographers is very nice. He explained why there were goats feet tied to the bow and stern of the ship. We brought a Rummy Cube game, which he quickly mastered, even with 15 foot seas!!

Our itinerary was to head from port and go to the south side of WP to Triton Bay. We were getting very strong winds which made any open water tricky. We got to Triton after stopping along the way for a few dives. One of these dives had colonial anemones everywhere. They were about the only ones we saw on the whole trip.

Wcolonial.jpg

More on the next post

Triton Bay

This is a huge bay that only recently has seen diver action. It is still seldom dived as it is difficult to get to. Once there, you will never want to leave. Even though the Damai works hard to maintain friendly relations with the local tribes, there is often tension between them and the few boats that dive this area.

I was lucky to be the last diver up from a night dive. In those last moments, I found the only walking shark seen on the trip. my guide, who stayed with me, was thrilled.
Wwalkingshark2.jpg

I finally got to see the harlequin shrimp that have eluded me all of these years

Wharlequin9.jpg

SO, after diving Triton, we were to head due south and, after a long open water crossing, we were to island hop on islands that have never been dived. We were to end up on Timor at the end, flying out from there. Well, the winds were totally against us. We were unable to make ANY headway there. We aborted and went back to Triton. We then headed back up the coast and went into a bay where our engine died. Luckily, there was good diving. After two days where we were able to fix the engine, we had to give up on out attempt for Timor. We headed, instead, int Raja Ampat.

Though I was disappointed in not being able to do exploratory diving, having been in RA, I knew we would find good diving.

A few photos

Wyellowclingfish2.jpg

Wpygmy2.jpg

Wghostduo.jpg

W-backoff.jpg

So, then it was obvious our airline tickets from Timor were no good. The Damai office booked tickets from Ambon. They thought, for sure, we would be able to get there. NOPE! The winds prevented that. So, our tickets from Ambon were no good either. So they rebooked us flying from Sorong. Now, we had to get there.

Sadly, we got the news of the Mandarin Siren sinking in Raja. Luckily, no one hurt. What a tragic loss for a great company that I have enjoyed diving with.

On our last dives before getting to Sorong we stopped at a place called "Algae Patch". It is one of the best muck dives ever! I finally found my blue ring octo that I had been looking for. However, he never did fell threatened enough (and I sure tried) to flash more than a few rings.

Wbluering7.jpg

Wbluering6.jpg

Wbluering2.jpg

These photos are still mostly unedited (except for a few quick and dirty edits). I still have not even viewed many of them. Someday I will look at them in Photoshop and see if there is something worth looking at.

Even though the trip schedule ended up being a disappointment, we found excellent diving. The Dive Damai office did a fabulous job of taking care of all of the flights and arrangements at no cost to us. The boat was luxurious and the food dangerously good. I would highly recommend this company to anyone looking for an "ultimate" adventure. While the "boutique" dive experience was a bit pricey, I suggest it is well worth it for a lifetime of memories.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom