Inexpensive dry box

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To keep the stuff dry while it's ON the boat, not in the water. :confused: Who the heck would be stupid enough to take their phone/wallet/keys underwater with them? o_O

Me!
Guilty as charged!
Well, not the phone, I would not have dared.
But I had a trusted pouch for my phone, used on many paddle trips, been with the phone UW (I guess I am not the greatest paddler) a few times too, but just a few feet. Worked great (the pouch), hence it was "trusted".
So when going on a cruise (a regular big fat ship, port invasion, eat yourself silly kind of cruise) with the family, where my son and I were going to go diving with local operators (pre-arranged) in foreign countries, we needed to bring some money and passports. I had some second thoughts about leaving those on the local operators boat during the dive. So I took them with me in that pouch (pressure won't harm them, with almost all air squeezed out prior to closing the pouch should hold...). Worked great the first dive day. Not so much the second. Lessons learned:
- New style US passports are pretty waterproof, much more so than older style German ones, where the covers delaminate. The waterproofness in visa stamps varies too. A border guard at a recent crossing remarked: "It's seen a lot, huh" I refrained from saying "Yep, mostly fishy stuff".
- If you dry out your and your sons diving gear in the tiny cruise ship bathrum and a bunch of banknotes and two passports on the beds in the cabin that you and your wife used to occupy, it will end up being occupied by you and your son.

Last edited:
I prefer the pelican 1120. Can fit more stuff and is still relatively small.

A clear dry bag is all one needs? I place a carrabeaner on the oring to hang up in the air off of numerous platforms....

I prefer the pelican 1120. Can fit more stuff and is still relatively small.

I have pelican's as side bags on my motorcycle....waterproof and indestructible!

I have pelican's as side bags on my motorcycle....waterproof and indestructible!

Pretty small side bags if they are the 1120. Good idea though, lockable and any size you might need.

Pretty small side bags if they are the 1120. Good idea though, lockable and any size you might need.
I think mine are 1560's ?....I was just mentioning the brand as no matter what size you have, they are awesome boxes.

Me!
Guilty as charged!
Well, not the phone, I would not have dared.
But I had a trusted pouch for my phone, used on many paddle trips, been with the phone UW (I guess I am not the greatest paddler) a few times too, but just a few feet. Worked great (the pouch), hence it was "trusted".
So when going on a cruise (a regular big fat ship, port invasion, eat yourself silly kind of cruise) with the family, where my son and I were going to go diving with local operators (pre-arranged) in foreign countries, we needed to bring some money and passports. I had some second thoughts about leaving those on the local operators boat during the dive. So I took them with me in that pouch (pressure won't harm them, with almost all air squeezed out prior to closing the pouch should hold...). Worked great the first dive day. Not so much the second. Lessons learned:
- New style US passports are pretty waterproof, much more so than older style German ones, where the covers delaminate. The waterproofness in visa stamps varies too. A border guard at a recent crossing remarked: "It's seen a lot, huh" I refrained from saying "Yep, mostly fishy stuff".
- If you dry out your and your sons diving gear in the tiny cruise ship bathrum and a bunch of banknotes and two passports on the beds in the cabin that you and your wife used to occupy, it will end up being occupied by you and your son.

Only you...:rofl3:

Seal Line dry bag. I have been using these on boats where I have had these on the floor of the boat in pools of water and my gear has been dry - electronics, dry clothing, towel, etc.

Dry Bags

I've had good luck with my Walmart dry boxes so far. I've taken them canyoneering in utah, backpacking for up to a week at a time, and on a dive boat. Never had anything in them get wet, even fully submerged.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom