Inexpensive lodging but with pier/swimming access

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Manfrenjensenden

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've previously stayed at (and enjoyed) Casa del Mar and the Occidental. I'm looking at a Cozumel trip in August and am tempted by some of the highly rated hotels (e.g. Mary Carmen, Suites Colonial) with very reasonable rates. But I'm lazy and don't want to walk much (or take a taxi) with all my gear to get to a pier to get picked up/dropped off by a boat each day, and I'd like easy access to the water to take a dip. Does the following exist?
  • Easy access to a pier to get picked up and dropped off
  • Easy access to swimming (don't need a sandy beach)
  • Want to be able to sit outside in the shade. Doesn't have to be private, but would like it not to have tons of traffic noise
  • Walkable or quick taxi to town
  • Quiet, clean
  • Room rates on the order of $50/night

Swim / relax & drink a tiny bit at Hotel Barracuda's No Name bar, stay at any of the hotels in town you mentioned & dive with Tres Pelicanos, Aldora or Blue XT Sea who all depart from a down town pier & will look after your gear. I believe all 3 of those shops can even get you a better rate as part of a dive trip package.

edited to correct that Tres Pelicanos will transport you to / from the marina by road rather than do a pier pick up / drop off in town.

I think the closest you are going to get is staying at Suites Bahía and diving with Tres Pelícanos.
  • Easy access to a pier to get picked up and dropped off - They will drive you to/from their shop, which is just a couple blocks away
  • Easy access to swimming (don't need a sandy beach) - No
  • Want to be able to sit outside in the shade... - Get a balcony room
  • Walkable or quick taxi to town - It's right in the middle of town
  • Quiet, clean - Sort of and yes. The rooms are clean and quiet, but the Thirsty Cougar has live music across the street on weekends
  • Room rates on the order of $50/night - About $45/night for a balcony
You also get breakfast included at Casa Mexicana.

Except for the room price, I think the Barracuda sounds the closest to matching your list. You could dive with anyone that leaves from downtown. I suspect that all of what you're looking for, mostly due to price, doesn't exist.

For the record, from Suites Colonial, you'd be about a block west of Deep Blue, who leaves from downtown. You'd be about three blocks east/south from the pier they use. If you ask them to take your gear, they can arrange that with you.

Several shops use that same pier i believe, like Aldora, Blue XT~Sea and probably Aqua Safari. Those shops are also pretty close to Suites Colonial. Suites Bahia and Mary Carmen is right in that same area too, both less expensive than Casa Mexicana. Bahia would include the Casa Mexicana breakfast and is close to the pier.

In these cases, your close swimming access would be the NoName bar at the Barracuda, which is about 3-4 blocks (?) from the Colonial. For that matter, you could just walk down to the ocean and jump in, but the NoName far would have some facility.

Check out the hotel plaza, it has a pool on the roof and booking.com has it fo $49/night in August. It's a block from the ferry pier and a short walk to Tres Pelicanos who will take care of your gear and provide transportation to / from the marina. Haven't stayed there but I have always heard good things about it.

My money's on your return to the Occ.....:)

This is the link to an old photo tour I did of the No Name Bar & waterfront area at Hotel Barracuda. I suspect very little has changed since then.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjNPCDi9

I've previously stayed at (and enjoyed) Casa del Mar and the Occidental. I'm looking at a Cozumel trip in August and am tempted by some of the highly rated hotels (e.g. Mary Carmen, Suites Colonial) with very reasonable rates. But I'm lazy and don't want to walk much (or take a taxi) with all my gear to get to a pier to get picked up/dropped off by a boat each day, and I'd like easy access to the water to take a dip. Does the following exist?
  • Easy access to a pier to get picked up and dropped off
  • Easy access to swimming (don't need a sandy beach)
  • Want to be able to sit outside in the shade. Doesn't have to be private, but would like it not to have tons of traffic noise
  • Quiet, clean
Suites Colonial is as quiet and clean as it gets. It is right downtown. It is a 1.5 block walk to the pier which Blue XT Sea departs and returns to. They will keep your gear, clean it and set it up each day. You just have to walk yourself down to the pier. Buffet breakfast is included each morning at Casa Mexicana (sister hotel). Room rate is in your ball park. They don't have a pool, so any swimming will need to be a walk down to the ocean and jump in.

Another option that meets your desires is Hotel Plaza Cozumel. Similar price, also downtown, has a rooftop swimming pool and big shaded area adjacent to the pool for lounging. They include an outstanding breakfast downstairs in the dining area adjacent to the lobby. You could still dive with Blue XT Sea and walk down to their pier. This would be a 4-5 block easy walk down the waterfront. Or you could dive with Blue Magic. They are one block over from the hotel. You show up there at 8:30am and they transport you via van to their boat. They also offer valet service and will take care of all your gear each day. You just need to get it to the shop on day 1.
My only gripe with this hotel is that their beds are not nearly as comfortable as Suites Colonial and their AC in the rooms is a bit noisy. The upside over Suites Colonial is their pool and plenty of space on the rooftop to hang and dry your wetsuit after diving. I definitely prefer diving with Blue XT Sea over Blue Magic for a few reasons which I'd be happy to share via private message. Have a great trip!

• Easy access to a pier to get picked up and dropped off -
Blue Angel. Has its own pier. On site dive op obviously, as well as other operators. We get picked up by Blue XTSea there. Added bonus is a quality shore dive that is free if you use their op.
  • Easy access to swimming (don't need a sandy beach
This is actually where a lot of people come to swim, there's a regular group of ladies every morning, and in the afternoon I've seen a much faster group between villablanca and the car ferry. From the BA pier to villablanca to the south is about a 1/2 mile trip, can also go north to the car ferry. Very safe
Some of the upper rooms get traffic noise from the street, but all are ocean front and quiet on that side. The grounds have tons of places to relax and unwind, lots of shade, grass area, hammocks, pool, etc.
It's about 1.5 miles to the square. We typically walk there and back or take a taxi one way if not feeling it.
  • Quiet, clean
Check, check
More like $90 with breakfast included.

Last edited:
Thanks for asking that question because I am looking for the exact same thing, just don't think there is a place that ticks all those boxes within that price range. Anyone have experience with Costa Brava? It is a very short walk to Hotel Barracuda and falls within the price range.

Back
Top Bottom