Inexpensive strobe for Canon S100 system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would not buy any of those two before going into a shop and checking that your housing that is rather compact has got enough surface for the sticker part

Only the sea and sea mask that you can basically customize to your housing will always work

Just about any strobe will work as long as it can be optically fired. You want a sync cord that has one end which will attach to the outside of your housing directly over where the camera flash sticks up. Usually this is done with a sticky velcro system, see links. Once it is in place you can simply use black electrical tape to Mask the inside of the housing so the light from the camera flash does not cause backscatter. Hope that helps.

Sync Cord for a Sea&Sea type strobe:
10Bar Sea & Sea 2M F/O Sync Cord - Sync Cords - Strobes & Accessories - Optical Ocean Sales Underwater Photo - 800-359-1295!

Sync Cord for an Inon type:
Inon 2M F/O Sync Cord - Sync Cords - Strobes & Accessories - Optical Ocean Sales Underwater Photo - 800-359-1295!

You need a strobe mask such as what Sea and Sea do Sea & Sea Strobe Mask Set [ss.50109] - $35.00 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros
The inon set only works with Inon lens adapter I guess in this case you have a 67mm so that does not apply
What strobe have you got?

If you are on a tight budget and sounds as if you are. Go to a local electronics store, buy a metre of optical cable and a plastic attachment and glue it to a piece of opaque plastic you can attach over your housing where the flash shows through. Cost in Australia about $5. Take the housing in with you and the guys will tell you how to do it.

A new flash will have an optical attachment anyway so that end won't cost you anything.

A bit of DIY can be useful however I would not exactly start there for your first ever unit. The results can be poor and the set up may break. If you have to pay a bit more for a higher quality engineer piece but it will stay with you for a long time. My sea and sea L Type cable has been with us for 6 more years and still goes strong. I like the coil shape instead of straight that makes it easier to use and the quality is superior to other cheap adapter. The optic cable itself seems to be less rigid and looks like the sea and sea people have been carefully looking for materials that would be better suited to the condition of use.
Once you know exactly what you are in the market for definitely you can buy a couple of plugs and terminate the cables yourself maybe having something even more tailored to your exact need but I would get there step by step to be honest

If you are on a tight budget and sounds as if you are. Go to a local electronics store, buy a metre of optical cable and a plastic attachment and glue it to a piece of opaque plastic you can attach over your housing where the flash shows through. Cost in Australia about $5. Take the housing in with you and the guys will tell you how to do it.

A new flash will have an optical attachment anyway so that end won't cost you anything.

---------- Post added April 6th, 2012 at 08:40 PM ----------

Actually Inon has release an official solution for the ikelite INON NEWS: Accessory for Ikelite PowerShot S100/S95/S90 Housing

Hi,

I'm a newbie in UW photography, I just bought used Olympus FE-360 & NIB PT-044 housing for my 1st shot. I planned if I have some experience I'll upgrade to S100 or better. I also look for strobe can compatible with both FE-360 and near future compact one. Which one gonna recommend?

I am successfully using one of my Nikon SB 105 strobes with my Canon S100.
With flash in slave mode, the Cameras flash triggers the 105. Has been working very well.

Back
Top Bottom