Inexperienced diver looking to dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jontay

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Scuba folks. I thought this might be a good forum to pose the following question;

I'm a 57 yr old male looking for laid back/chill vacation (traveling solo, for 10-14 days) w/some random scuba diving thrown in amongst other activities. Looking for mid Jan/2018 trip. PADI open water certified (@ Lake Tahoe) 17 years ago but no ocean dives or other experience since. Assume I would need something where I could take a refresher course(?) and would want to rent everything (although, I may still have my goggles and snorkel from PADI class?).

I live in Idaho so I was thinking the Caribbean, Mexico or Central America might be a reasonable travel distace/time. From the articles and forums that I've read, the overall $ expenditure for a Carribean area trip could be somewhat reasonable and also provide a great diving experience. My goal is to become more acquainted with scuba diving and to see wide array of colors, coral, fish, animals, etc. and become even more enthused to pursue more diving adventures.

Scuba diving has been a lifelong bucket list item and my New Year's resolution is to address this desire. Looking for a new hobby/sport and this is what I really want to pursue. I love to travel so taking future dive vacations would be right up my alley.

Appreciate anybody's thoughts, suggestions, ideas and opinions on the matter.

Thank you SO much!

If you want a destination with more than just diving, I'd recommend the Riviera Maya and the Yucatan mainland. For my wife and I, our choice is Puerto Aventuras.

There should be a number of threads on here about that area.

If you want more specific information, feel free to PM me.

For an immersion diving vaca, Cozumel the ticket. Yes, take the refresher class then hit the marvelous reefs CZM has to offer. Great dining choices as well in town or a few good AI to choose from as well. We enjoy the Occidental south of town.

You might want to check prices to Hawaii and diving options there, too.

Cozumel is more interesting diving than the mainland of Mexico and has many fine operators. Some of the dives can be deeper or more currenty than you’d like to start with. Great dining but not a whole lot of other things to see.

The Yucatan peninsula has ruins, cenotes (freshwater sinkholes, fun snorkelling) and some lovely towns inland to tour. The diving is a pleasant introduction to warm water, reasonably fishy; I liked both Akumal and Puerto Morelos. With 10 days you could combine the mainland and Cozumel?

For a little more money in airfare and flying time from Seattle, you could be in the Philippines where the diving is in another class altogether, oh my. And the diving is cheaper than most of the Caribbean, not to mention dining and lodging.

Thank you SO much to everyone's response.

So far the only thing I have done is I have booked a flight to Cancun and no real plans other than that. Trying to decide where to spend the first few nights and try to get some refresher dives in(?).
Right now, I am thinking maybe of starting at Puerto Morelos or Playa Del Carmen for a couple days and then maybe over to Cozumel. Cozumel seems to be coming highly recommended by many, but maybe with a tad bit more diving experience.

Still looking for cheap lodging as all I really want is a bed (safe). Thinking AirBnB might be a good way to go?

Please feel free to offer opinions if anyone wants to take the time.

Thanks for all of the great, informative responses. VERY much appreciated!!! :)

Jontay

have not posted in a while, lazy! but my wife and I have been to Cozumel at least 15 times, if your in Cancun its a 45 minute ferry ride there, and it goes two or three times a day, personally Cancun diving does nothing for me, like Cenotes though

Thank you SO much to everyone's response.

So far the only thing I have done is I have booked a flight to Cancun and no real plans other than that. Trying to decide where to spend the first few nights and try to get some refresher dives in(?).
Right now, I am thinking maybe of starting at Puerto Morelos or Playa Del Carmen for a couple days and then maybe over to Cozumel. Cozumel seems to be coming highly recommended by many, but maybe with a tad bit more diving experience.

Still looking for cheap lodging as all I really want is a bed (safe). Thinking AirBnB might be a good way to go?

Please feel free to offer opinions if anyone wants to take the time.

Thanks for all of the great, informative responses. VERY much appreciated!!! :)

Jontay
Houses are available in Puerto Morelos on the west side of the highway for great prices in relatively new row houses with A/C. Nice enough but not fancy. Down near the beach they are expensive. Airbnb or VRBO. Puerto Morelos has a lot of relatively shallow reefs with little current and lots of fish. The vis is generally not as good as Cozumel but I have been to some deep sites there with equivalent vis. Think deep, fast current. I believe few Puerto Morelos operators take people to those sites.

Hi Scuba folks. I thought this might be a good forum to pose the following question;

I'm a 57 yr old male looking for laid back/chill vacation (traveling solo, for 10-14 days) w/some random scuba diving thrown in amongst other activities. Looking for mid Jan/2018 trip. PADI open water certified (@ Lake Tahoe) 17 years ago but no ocean dives or other experience since. Assume I would need something where I could take a refresher course(?) and would want to rent everything (although, I may still have my goggles and snorkel from PADI class?).

I live in Idaho so I was thinking the Caribbean, Mexico or Central America might be a reasonable travel distace/time. From the articles and forums that I've read, the overall $ expenditure for a Carribean area trip could be somewhat reasonable and also provide a great diving experience. My goal is to become more acquainted with scuba diving and to see wide array of colors, coral, fish, animals, etc. and become even more enthused to pursue more diving adventures.

Scuba diving has been a lifelong bucket list item and my New Year's resolution is to address this desire. Looking for a new hobby/sport and this is what I really want to pursue. I love to travel so taking future dive

Scuba diving has been a lifelong bucket list item and my New Year's resolution is to address this desire. Looking for a new hobby/sport and this is what I really want to pursue. I love to travel so taking future dive vacations would be right up my alley.

Thank you SO much!

would be right up my alley.

Thank you SO much!

If you are looking for some easier break in dives you could check out Isla Mujeres. The island is laid back and there are a number of 30' reef dives and what is referred to as the underwater museum. The dives are not Cozumel quality but the aquatic life on the reefs is very good. There is also a ship wreck in the channel (C-58) that is an advanced dive. It is a great dive but it is 80' to the sand and the currents can be tricky so I would not attempt this on your first trip back from a 17 year break. The island is approximately 10 miles off the coast of Cancun and the ferry service is great. I'm going there in February for the third time with family and friends. It is a great place to relax and enjoy a break from winter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom