Inflating DSMB from exhaled gas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueTrin

Scallops aficionado
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I tried this yesterday at a club pool, didn’t really manage to do it in a satisfactory manner.

Is there some website with pictures so I can understand what I was doing wrong ?

I think part of the issue is that I chose a very tiny DSMB, I thought that it would be easier since I am at 3m down in the pool but in fact it was harder since the hole was so small.

Also under water I find it hard to see where I am exhaling my bubbles. Should I tilt my head 90degrees to do this ? The small OMS DSMB has a sealing mechanism with plates at the base: I found out that it was hard to keep it open. The velcro flaps at the base of the DSMB were not helping either.

I’ll have a go next time with a Buddy DSMB, it is much bigger so hopefully it will be easier, although I don’t think I’ll be able to fully inflate when being only at 3m deep.

Are you trying to do this with your reg in your mouth?

Your comment about tilting your head leads me to believe you are using one of those SMBs with an open bottom. I never had much success with that, either. It's SO much easier to use an SMB with an oral inflation TUBE. You just blow into the tube.

@BlueTrin use the inflation tube. Don't try to exhale into the bottom of those things. Did someone recommend that you try it this way?

To inflate from the bottom, you would normally take a regulator, put the mouthpiece in the bottom of the buoy and hit the purge button.

To inflate with exhaled gas, do this. By far the best way to skin this cat

Thanks guys, I will try to use the inflation tube next time I can use the pool, hopefully it will be easier. :)

@Lorenzoid you guessed right, that’s what I was trying to do

@tbone1004 it was just me wanting to try something I never did before, I always use my octopus to inflate my DSMB in the past. Nobody told me to inflate from the opening, it was just me guessing.

Thanks for the video !

Are you trying to do this with your reg in your mouth?
Is the correct way to keep the reg in your mouth while trying to blow in the DSMB tube or should you switch ?

In your original post, it sounded like you were trying to catch exhaust gas in the bottom of the bag, when you said you had a hard time seeing where it was going I pictured you doing this with the reg in.

@BlueTrin reg comes out of your mouth when orally inflating the dsmb. Follow the ISE video
Just finished watching it, I’ll try this next time. Video is really clear and explanations are good.

Thanks

@BlueTrin use the inflation tube. Don't try to exhale into the bottom of those things. Did someone recommend that you try it this way?

Why not? Works perfectly and reg is far from the buoy.

@BlueTrin
To inflate from the bottom, you would normally take a regulator, put the mouthpiece in the bottom of the buoy and hit the purge button.

There is a significant entanglement risk by doing this, isn't there? Already saw some people going up with reg attached to the buoy/line.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom