Inflating DSMB from exhaled gas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use one to fill my open bottom lift bag. Works fine.

It gets disconnected and clipped off when not in use though. I don’t trust that thing at all.

nor should you, they're upstream valves and are dodgy at best. I keep one with me as well for teaching moments as well as filling things, but it gets clipped off.

The recommendation for reels over spools and “runaway ascents” is because reels are a bit more apt to jam than a spool. It’s got nothing to do with a wave bouncing you up a foot on a shallow stop.

A spool ain’t gunna cut it when you’re shooting a bag from 240’.

“Because someone says so” is rarely a good reason to do something. You need to understand it.
Ok understood. Do you not think the swells going up and down are not a valid reason to use spools over reels anyway?

Look into Manta Reels. I use them for drift deco & deep deployment. Very easy to use and keep from becoming a birds nest!!

Look into Manta Reels. I use them for drift deco & deep deployment. Very easy to use and keep from becoming a birds nest!!

just don't buy these things
Sport Reel
Their locking mechanism is horrific and unreliable. Someone donated a bunch to NCSU and because they don't have any actual positive locking mechanism other than that slide thing, they love to just randomly unlock and spool out during a dive.

Tbone has a good point. Not all reels are created equal. As a generalization, a spool is pretty much a spool but there can be quite a variation in quality and design between reels with some more likely to jam than others. And reels probably, again as a generalization, do require a bit more of a learning curve to use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom