Inflating DSMB from QD hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do not believe in inflating massive DSMB's from depth because they're a PITA to deal with as you've realized. I don't dive with a backup DSMB, I dive with a small 3ft skinny thing that I shoot from depth, and a big **** off monstrous thing that I only inflate at the surface as a "come find me, I'm lost". For that one, you have time to deal with it. Otherwise with the huge one, just inflate it from as deep as you can and you don't have to have that much gas in it with expansion.

This is exactly what I do as well. I have a small Halcyon DSMB (3' skinny one) that I shoot from depth. I have a small BC hose on my pony/stage that I use or I orally inflate it. Both work just fine especially if done from 50-60' or deeper. I then have one of the BIG Halcyon SMBs as well that I can inflate at the surface if necessary. I "could" inflate the big guy at depth if need be. I keep a spool attached to it and ready just in case. But I've never had to use it from depth. I keep one DSMB in each pocket of my pocket shorts.

I think I’ll just add a QD hose on the stage, it seems to be the easiest solution.

Thanks for all the ideas and input.

Not while it is going up.

Only initially, and if you let it free fly up. A little friction on the spool will halp with neutral buoyancy, and less friction will be needed as the air expands on the way up.

Only initially, and if you let it free fly up. A little friction on the spool will halp with neutral buoyancy, and less friction will be needed as the air expands on the way up.
I suggest you try it.

Nah bro. Shoot the big one.

Yeah, I agree. I shoot a big bag from depth. I just run an extra lp hose with a blow gun nozzle attached and it sits in my scooter ring. The hose stays put and it's super easy to insert and fill a big bag without disconnecting other hoses or grabbing another second stage to inflate. I suppose if you've got a scooter attached to the ring it might be a little problematic, but since I don't use a scooter...easy peasy.

I usually dump air from my BCD because I hold on to my spool during the ascent of the safety sausage. I have never launched below 40'.
It may work out well for you, but it is worth trying out in a benign situation.
The point is that you've let some air (or a lot) out of your BCD, so you will sink if you don't do something else. That something might just be hanging onto the DSMB string, or it might be putting some air back into the BCD. But something!

It may work out well for you, but it is worth trying out in a benign situation.
The point is that you've let some air (or a lot) out of your BCD, so you will sink if you don't do something else. That something might just be hanging onto the DSMB string, or it might be putting some air back into the BCD. But something!

Your math doesn't work, unless a lot of air leaks between the BCD and the sausage. If you keep the same amount of air, you should only sink a little while keeping the line taut. As the sausage ascends, it will gain buoyancy. Sinking should be minimal.

Your math doesn't work, unless a lot of air leaks between the BCD and the sausage. If you keep the same amount of air, you should only sink a little while keeping the line taut. As the sausage ascends, it will gain buoyancy. Sinking should be minimal.
Sorry I wasn't clear. YOU lose buoyancy when you let the air out of your BCD. That loss MIGHT be compensated (or even overcompensated, as you point out) for by the DSMB....if you hold onto it. If you don't or the string breaks, or the DSMB pops/leaks, you will sink. So you need to be prepared to put air back into your BCD, because your buoyancy is now split into two places and one of those places is at risk.

Back
Top Bottom