Inflator Hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cwhitpan

Contributor
Reaction score
Schwenksville, Pennsylvania, United States
# of dives
25 - 49
I was doing my "pretzel" during my specialty checkouts and my instructor noticed my suit was filling very fast, faster than the valve could release the air.

Is it possible that I got a wrong hose from the shop when I purchased my suit? and how could i get a correct one if that is the case?

Some DS companies (White's for example) use hoses that incorporate a restrictor in the hose to limit the flow rate to ensure the suit dumps faster than it inflates.

I am not sure where DUI is at on the issue.

Personally, I would not rely on an restrictor to solve a runaway inflator problem. You should be proficient at disconnecting the hose to stop the flow, rather than just venting it while the flow continues and you should also be familiar with dumping gas out a wrist or neck seal before you turn into an approximation of the stay puff marshmellow man.

In the event that DUI does not use a restrictor and in the further event you are bothered by that, get a hose from Whites. They are also shaped to allow easy quick disconnection in gloves.

If I understand your situation correctly, you were practicing the skill where the inlet valve is pressed to simulate out of control inflation. When doing that your exhaust valve was unable to keep up with the air going in. Is that right? It is possible you do not have the proper inflator hose on your regulator. However, it is much more likely that you have experienced the difference between theory and practice. By that I mean, the flow rates of the valves are theoretically close enough to prevent this type of problem. However, in practice, you can not keep your exhaust in the perfect position to vent at all times. There may also be differences caused by the loftiness of the insulation, cleanliness of the valve and other factors that might influence the trapping of air. As a result, DA Aquamaster is correct that it is very important to know how to unplug your inflator valve in an emergency and how to get out of a rapid ascent.

If you want to check that you have the correct inflator hose, please check out the pictures on our website or send us a picture of yours and we will confirm if it is the correct one. Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom