Info and Discussion...Roatan Dive Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Certain colors of Seahorse taste better than others, but yes, they're all good!

Wonders of a night dive, under the PA Wreck:
aark066_2.jpg

These guys live under the corkscrew Anemone, next to the Blue & Clear Pedersen Shrimp... see 'em?
aark014_2.jpg

On Sea Fans, see the Solitary Hydroids? These live there...
aaaaaa11002.jpg

Here's a Sharp Nosed Puffer actually PUFFING!
IMG_0891_2.jpg

Click on the "MICRO PIX" link in my "sig line" below, it gets weirder.

These guys live under the corkscrew Anemone, next to the Blue & Clear Pedersen Shrimp... see 'em?
aark014_2-jpg.408040.jpg

Hey Doc - is this a pistol shrimp?

(I'm bad at critter names....) But yes, I believe it is. So named because of the "gunshot" clicking sound of the claw snapping to startle intruders.

You can spot their red/white feeler protruding from under the Corkscrew Anemone. Put your finger on the sand and they'll come out and take their best shot at you.

Corkscrew Anemone are easy to spot. Get closer, you'll see the resident clear/blue Pedersen Shrimp. Then look for the red/white feeler of the Pistol Shrimp.

Ohhh, look, there's yet another crustacean often living under that! It's a little crab, but I haven't captured him on film yet. Many layers of the ecosystem.

I wouldn't advise putting your finger near them...OUCH! Those little buggers are fierce :eek:

I do enjoy playing with them. I choose to use the butt end of my dive knife. I put it on the sand at the edge of the anemone and listen to the resounding WHAP when the shrimp hits the handle!!!

Did not have the camera with me today but I had a Spotted Eagle Ray join me on Mandy's Eel Garden today, it came within 10 ft of me, it was cool. I am really enjoying this site more and more. Hopefully this week we will get over and do the PA and CocoView Wall.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom