Info Needed - Odyssey & Pelagian

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nesher

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey I need a little information from anyone whose been aboard either the Odyssesy and/or the Pelagian.

Any information you care to share will be greatly appreciated.

Water conditions, best time to go, crew, captian, safety. How's the overall operation conducted and run? How was the transportation over?

Any information at all will be helpful.

Any geopolitical issues we need to know about?

Anyone know of any group scheduling trips to either location late 2008 or early 2009?

Nesher, We are getting ready to book the Pelagian for Oct 2008. I think the best time to go is September and September is totally booked. I have done some research and the Pelagian gets good reviews. However, I would like to see what others have to say.

Do a search and you will find lots on the Oddessy. 95% of the reports are good. I remember seeing one poor. We thought they were great. The Pelagian is new to the waters while the ThorFin is being repaired.

Yeah! I've done quite a bit of research on-line already. What I'd like is to hear from someone who may have already done the trip recently.

Or to share with someone who is either planning on going or is scheduled to go on either of those vessels.

I sort of want an actual experience over the advertisement.

What I was trying to get at is do a search on scubaboard for trips reports. There are a few. I did one in May 2006. There are some newer ones.

our LDS had a group go on the Odyssey last December and they had a great time. They said the boat is plush, not like most liveaboards. The crew was very safety conscious and DMs will lead dives for those who are nervous about the dives (there were two newbies on the trip which I think is stupid, but the LDS didn't mind taking their money). It was the first time there for all of them, first liveaboard for most. That's about all I heard about the trip, other than everyone said we MUST do it.

I met someone else recently who did it last summer who said it was fabulous but vis was only 40' at most, not as good as when he did it 10 yrs ago. He was also on the Odyssey and loved it, great boat, great crew. Also said they have pony bottles for use by anyone onboard and deco diving is not a problem. He does alot of wreck/deep diving so Truk is right up his alley and I know he did some intense diving at all the sites. He really liked it.

robint

Wow! That sounds pretty good to me.

I wonder do you have to be wreck certitified before you go, or can you get the certification on the vessels? I'm almost sure you should be able to do that on the Odyssey.

I hear the Pelagian, does something called muck diving. Okay! I'm showing my inexperience here. I tried to research muck diving and it sounds like shore diving in Northern Califormia to me. Plenty of dirt and low viz.

I might have gotten onto the wrong website because that didn't sound right.

However, I hope the Pelagian has something else to offer other than muck diving. If not I might as well go to Wakatobi and stay at the land based resort.

But after doing the Nekton in Sep 07, I'm convinced that liveaboards are the way for me to go.

Nekton is somewhat limited in their itineraries, and I really love Nekton.

However, I will easily exhaust their wells and streams within the next couple of years, unless they add something new to the board.

So, I'm preparing to explore beyond their borders in 2009 & 2010 - I have to branch out and explore new territories. My eyes are looking toward liveaboard diving in Indonesia.

I guess I could add Micronesia to the hotlist as well. Palau should also have great liveaboard trips too.

Thanks again Robint

you are welcome!

As far as muck diving, that is pretty much only done in N. Sulawesi, Indonesia. Black sand bottom covered with little critters. If you are not really into fish or photography it might get boring after awhile. Photographers absolutely love it. I think what you read about the Pelagian doing "muck" has to do with old itineraries, not Truk.

Truk is purely deep wreck diving. Nothing else. You don't need to be wreck certified, but you should be at least advanced due to depths and air consumption issues. If you are an air hog there is no need to go - most wrecks don't even start until 80' and go deeper, so your diving depths are ALWAYS deep. The wrecks are covered with life, lots of war relics to see inside some of the holds, but penitration is not done on all wrecks. The Odyssey has a book onboard which gives the history and maps of each wreck. I think I was told you can buy it on Amazon. If your into history I would get it before you go.

There is another boat now doing Truk also, part of the Expedition Fleet. Check it out here: Pacific Explorer II - Caradonna Dive Adventures
Since I am doing another one of their boats in a few weeks, the Big Blue Explorer in Palau, I will be getting the scoop on the company. Expect a big report with lots of pictures! I know that the Odyssey seems to be booked over a year out so this other boat may be the way to go for those not wanting to wait.

I am going to look at my friends website and see if I can get you the link for info.

robint

edit: here is his website and photos:
Optical Ocean: Above and Below.: Truk Trek - Truk Lagoon Dive Trip - Part 1

Are y'all talking about the Truk Odyssey in Chuuk Lagoon, or the M/V Odyssea in North Sulawesi, Halmaherah and Papua Indonesia?

(btw, Been on them and they're both very good Liveaboards. . .)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom