Information on NAUI Divemaster and Open Water Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,
I am new to scubaboard and I hope I am in the right section to ask this question. I am currently finishing my NAUI Master Diver course. As soon as it is completed, I want to begin my NAUI Divemaster and NAUI Open Water Instructor courses. I have a few questions that those who have gone through this path before me can hopefully answer.

1. Am I correct in my understanding that the Divemaster course is the "hands-on", in the water training--and the open water instructor takes place on dry land in the classroom going over theory, paperwork, etc. This is what I have heard and NAUI's website is not the clearest to interpret.

2. I do not live in an area abundant with dive spots. As such, I will be making a trip to Florida to accomplish these courses. Does anyone have a rough estimate of how long each course takes. (I understand that will vary by situation, but if I could hear from a couple people it should give me a good idea as to how much vacation time I need to plan).

3. No instructors have even mentioned NAUI FIT when discussing my future plans for Divemaster and OW Instructor. Can someone who has experience with this inform me as to what it is and what I may need to prepare for.

Just in case anyone would like to offer suggestions from a different agency perspective (PADI, SSI, etc.), please note that I appreciate your input, but I am committed to the NAUI track I am on and that is what I need the most input regarding.

Thank you all for any help and direction you can give!

Sincerely,
Ryan

I teach here in Ontario Canada I had a student drop out of an instructor program because of a sports injury. it will be a sdi program with 2 free specialties thrown in . if you would like to call I would be happy to discuss it with you , all of our leadership programs include accommodation ....thx Steve Simpson udt diving inc

Ryan,
Completing the NAUI Master Diver course will put you a head of the curve if you proceed to DM and Instructor. Just a note NAUI instructors are not just OW instructors, once qualified that can teach all courses up to and including DM. The FIT program is now a part of all professional NAUI level courses,ypor current instructor should be able to to provide you with program details, but you could contact the Training Department at NAUI HQ if you would like to.

As to your questions re length/time to complete DM courses. As I am not an Insructor Trainer I will confine myself to the DM course I run. FIT is by policy a large part of the DM course as it covers most of the in water and exam requirements, but there is no substitute for actual practical experience. That being the case my DM candidates work with me teaching Scuba Diver (all NAUI Scuba divers are OW divers) and other courses as well. They work with me aboard our charter dive boat and have the ability under supervision to work/assist real divers. I short a vacation trip to Florida is not going to get it done. If you like you can give me a call if you have other questions.

Hello,
I am new to scubaboard and I hope I am in the right section to ask this question. I am currently finishing my NAUI Master Diver course. As soon as it is completed, I want to begin my NAUI Divemaster and NAUI Open Water Instructor courses. I have a few questions that those who have gone through this path before me can hopefully answer.

1. Am I correct in my understanding that the Divemaster course is the "hands-on", in the water training--and the open water instructor takes place on dry land in the classroom going over theory, paperwork, etc. This is what I have heard and NAUI's website is not the clearest to interpret.

Hello Ryan. I will attempt to answer your questions as best I can. Both the Instructor and DM courses are "hands on". The DM course focuses on developing leadership skills through interacting with students, simulated or real. Your MSD class should review and reinforce dive physics, dive physiology, dive equipment, dive tables, and the diving environment. At the DM level, you should be taught how to help dive students understand and apply these concepts. You should understand the concept of how to supervise divers in the water and assist the Instructor in their classes. There is a fitness component that needs to be completed as well. Your in water skills should be on par with those of an Instructor.

The Instructor Course is much more intense than the DM course. It involves classroom time by the IT or CD, presentations that you will give to your trainer for evaluation, in pool training sessions, open water training sessions, and a final evaluation by your CD. I'll address the FIT component in question 3.

2. I do not live in an area abundant with dive spots. As such, I will be making a trip to Florida to accomplish these courses. Does anyone have a rough estimate of how long each course takes. (I understand that will vary by situation, but if I could hear from a couple people it should give me a good idea as to how much vacation time I need to plan)

The length of the ITC depends on your trainer and you. Some candidates have difficulty understanding "how" to teach. Some require additional time. Some ITs will add additional requirements to complete your training. As them for an outline of the course they teach.

3. No instructors have even mentioned NAUI FIT when discussing my future plans for Divemaster and OW Instructor. Can someone who has experience with this inform me as to what it is and what I may need to prepare for.

The FIT Program is a required program to enter a NAUI leadership class. DM, AI, or Instructor. It is an evaluation program designed to assess your readiness to attend the leadership course. The trainer will assess your knowledge base and in water skill ability and document their impression. Once completed you will receive a FIT card that you will need to enter the leadership course. Completing the MSD course should prepare you for the academics and having strong swimming and actual diving skills will prepare you for the rest.

Just in case anyone would like to offer suggestions from a different agency perspective (PADI, SSI, etc.), please note that I appreciate your input, but I am committed to the NAUI track I am on and that is what I need the most input regarding.

Thank you all for any help and direction you can give!

Sincerely,
Ryan

I hope that this helps. NAUI has recently updated its curriculum to be more consistent and current with the training requested by its dive leaders. Contact an IT or a CD to receive the specifics of the course they are teaching.

Thank you all for your informative responses. I appreciate all the information and I now have a much better idea of what to look forward to as I move into diving leadership roles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom