Infuriating (to me) scuba scene in a car commercial

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Apparently Jeep hired the same moron to set up the gear for this commercial too!

A87F3394-C4F3-44D8-8A90-E747967313AF.jpeg

Here is a link to the actual commercial. Unbelievable.

2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo TV Commercial, 'Summer Wanderers'

Oh, dear god. I paused this scene from a car commercial to get a closer look at this couple and their dive gear, and what I see makes me twitch.

The girl's tank is mounted backward, so the first-stage regulator is likewise backward. She's gonna bash her head on the yoke knob. Hard. Even worse, that orientation routes both her primary second-stage regulator hose and her backup reg hose to her left side; the regs will be upside down when she tries to use them, and she'll get a lungful of water.

The guy doesn't even appear to have a primary second stage regulator; all he has is a single backup reg, and that one's a mess. The hose drapes over his shoulder instead of hanging underneath it, and the reg is dangling free instead of being clipped off.

Neither the guy nor the girl has an air pressure gauge, depth gauge, timing device, or compass. Even Mike Nelson, that old-school he-man from Sea Hunt, carried more gear than this.

And finally, the commercial seems to imply these people are in California, where the water temps range from the high 50s up north through the mid-60s down south. Problem is, the girl is wearing a shorty suit, and those wetsuits look like they're only 3mm thick. Oh...and they're not wearing or carrying hoods. Here comes hypothermia!

To top off this horrorshow, the tiny disclaimer at screen bottom reads, "Experienced people shown. Do not attempt." Pfffft. More like "These utterly clueless models are about to die horribly. Do not attempt."

I was trained as a healthcare professional and it used to bother me when TV shows and movies made big mistakes and ridiculous statements about medical care, but I finally decided that it wasn't worth the effort and angst. I learned to just laugh it off because "it's just a show" and I suggest you consider doing the same regarding SCUBA errors in the media.

As far as regulators mounted backwards are concerned, I remember diving in the Azores 2 years ago, with a British guy, BSAC certified, who mounted his first stage that way.

Oddly enough, I have seen that as well, among some British divers, overseas; and I received much the same explanation.

That, in no way, though, lends any credence to that stupid car ad . . .

You can NOT bring MASKS into this. Mask wearing is now a political issue and can NOT be discussed here!
Everything is a political statement now...I could fart and someone would take it as a political statement, get all butt hurt, and start pontificating about greenhouse gas or something. It's just cabbage people, chill out.

If you're infuriated by dumb-ass commercial, you've probably got bigger fish to fry.

Everything is a political statement now...I could fart and someone would take it as a political statement, get all butt hurt, and start pontificating about greenhouse gas or something. It's just cabbage people, chill out.
I think everybody is chill here. However, this is an example of getting your work done half-ass. If you are a manager for a project that will have a scuba diving scene for a national commercial ad, wouldn’t you hire a real diver to help with setup and make sure things look authentic? This could be just about any diver, even fresh out of OW :) I don’t see it being expensive... Thus, in my mind it is half-ass, either didn’t think through or didn’t care.

I think everybody is chill here. However, this is an example of getting your work done half-ass. If you are a manager for a project that will have a scuba diving scene for a national commercial ad, wouldn’t you hire a real diver to help with setup and make sure things look authentic? This could be just about any diver, even fresh out of OW :) I don’t see it being expensive... Thus, in my mind it is half-ass, either didn’t think through or didn’t care.

They got the gear somewhere, how could it have been difficult or expensive to get someone to set the "divers" up properly? I ask rhetorically, of course.

I'll also make note that I seriously doubt anyone including the OP is truly outraged. We're merely entertaining ourselves.

Sigh....

My attempt at humor was in response to a previous post and in no way met to be taken seriously. Most everyone here is making some sort of a joke except for a few who are serious, political or whatever.
Sorry if my attempt at humor fell flat.

Back
Top Bottom