inhale from reg exhale from nose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting discussion.

Whether underwater or on the surface, I exhale through my nose more than 50% of the time.

Akimbo's discussion of the WOB issue is one that had never occurred to me and as I think about it, I definitely change my exhalation to mouth when exerted, but since I try very hard NEVER to exert myself (especially when I'm diving) it isn't an issue.

I have always used a low volume mask that isn't very tight and also have my hood over the top skirt so more often than not the exhaled (warm) air goes into my hood and helps warm my (bald) head.

The one time I tried CCR I was quite aware of my breathing and made sure it wasn't out of my nose unless I wanted to change the loop volume.

Last comment -- I HATE bubble noise and that is really the primary reason I exhale through my nose a lot. Rather than have the bubbles slide up my face and over my ears, the air slips out the top of my mask -- it still is noisy but not as bad.

As I sit here, I just don't feel a difference in exhalation resistance between mouth and nose but I'm sure there is some. OTOH, as long as the exhalation is long and slow, how much difference could there be in the WOB?

It's an old thread and I haven't re-read it all. Have you explained why you prefer to exhale through the nose?

Purists are going to tell you it's terrible and you're going to die, but honestly, I wouldn't worry about it.

The mushroom valve on your mask will last a long time and should be easy to replace when it finally wears out. And as long as you have some decent defogger (I use baby shampoo) you shouldn't have an issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom