Inheriting my dad's early '90s equipment - safe? How to check it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Katie L

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi folks. My dad offered to give me his diving equipment that he enthusiastically purchased in the early '90s and hasn't really used much since. This includes a BCD, regulator/octopus setup, and a couple tanks. Of course, I'd be hesitant to buy a stranger's 20 year-old gear, but since I trust my dad, I'm a little more vulnerable to assuming that this is a perfectly good idea! I'm not a petite woman and he's only about 4 inches taller than me, so other than the obvious issue of size, which might not be too much of a problem, how do I know if this is a bad idea? Is it worth just taking it all in to get serviced and looked over? What should I look for ahead of time? Have there been any major advancements in technology (beyond the dive computer -- would still need one of those) that would render any of this outdated or obsolete?

This question might have already been answered before so if you can point me to another thread that I overlooked, that would be lovely too. Thanks so much.

Get the regs serviced if in fact parts are available....what are the makes? As far as the BC is concerned, if it fits and holds air, go for it! You'll know soon enough if somethings not right.

Tanks need to be inspected!

Thanks! Not sure of the make of anything but I will find out.

Get the regs serviced if in fact parts are available....what are the makes?

Regs are Scuba Pro, and it turns out it's all from 1986 (older than I thought) if that makes a difference. Gauges are by Oceanic I think? Tanks are aluminum, 80 cubic ft.

Do you have a way to post pictures? I suspect you are good to go on anything Scubapro. Except possibly some D series regs. I am sure in the NY area there is someone who could service even those.

If the tanks are that old and not Catalina they are probably of the old alloy which is susceptible to stress cracking. Although they can be recertified with a special test you may have difficulty getting them filled. Post a picture of the markings on the neck of the tank including all letters and numbers.

I would take it all into a dive shop you trust, if you don't have one do a little research and find one. Bring it all in and sort though it with them. They will tell you what shouldn't be used anymore and what they can and will service.....then they'll try and sell you new gear so stick to your guns.....but I do have a aqualung i750 computer for sale since you said your still looking for a computer haha. Let a pros check your stuff out....the alternative isn't worth it!

It’s all out of state but I’ll try to get photos and post. For some reason I remember the tanks being newer so I’ll have to double check. Sounds like it’s worth an inspection since I don’t have the budget for a new set of gear myself. Back home I’d be able to take it to the dive shop where it was likely purchased.

Post pictures.

The regs will need an annual service and new hoses, and the tanks will need hydrotesting and VIP, but unless the tanks are SP (special permit) tanks they should be good to go. If you can't find an LDS to service the regs, consider sending them out to someone like Dive Right In Scuba. If you want some experienced eyes on the gear and friendly advice about that and some other things you've posted about here, consider joining the Sea Gypsies club.

Back
Top Bottom