Initial descent panic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would also proffer to role onto your back at first. At the beginning of a dive, all your weight is in your tank so let that bring you down during the first 3 meters and then roll over.

I would also proffer to role onto your back at first. At the beginning of a dive, all your weight is in your tank so let that bring you down during the first 3 meters and then roll over.
I can honestly say I’ve never heard that recommendation before...

My rescue instructor pointed it out to me. Makes the initial descent a lot easier. I also find it easier to look up and stretch out my eustacean tubes for equalising. It's new to me but definitely makes it easier. I only do it until I'm out of the initial descent zone and then I go back to mission impossible pose.

Since you'll be about 5 pounds negative at the beginning of the dive just due to the weight of the gas you're carrying, I'm not sure why you feel the need to exhale, unless you're seriously underweighted.

Since you'll be about 5 pounds negative at the beginning of the dive just due to the weight of the gas you're carrying, I'm not sure why you feel the need to exhale, unless you're seriously underweighted.
Possibly a dry wetsuit? I have a little trouble descending with a bone dry wetsuit unless I exhale. I wear 42 pounds (am not underweighted). But in Oregon the OP may use a drysuit.

I had a new wetsuit(Deep 6 3mm) last week that I kicked down with with from the surface with the wing empty, but I never felt the need to exhale to submerge with it. I think I've just gotten used to doing negative entries, to the point where I do them most of the time.

It's what we were trained to do in open water.

I had just done a weighting with the instructor and he said I was correct.... buoyant with a full lung, drop quickly with empty lungs.

I had never heard of kicking down on scuba but it would definitely seem more natural.

I had never heard of kicking down on scuba but it would definitely seem more natural.

I sometimes pull the butt dump and dive exhaling with a couple of dolphin kicks. If you have no issues with equalizing, it's an easy way to get going.

Back
Top Bottom