Inline valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kwinter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I did some searching through this forum and couldn't find an answer to a stupid question. What would be the disadvantages of using inline valves on sidemount tanks? For me, it is really about bailout bottles that I sidemount. But it always gets interesting when I have to decide what gas to put where based on the valve. Using standard valves, it leaves me with the reg up/reg down question. Using left and right valves means I might end up with a richer gas on my left. So I started wondering about using inline rebreather style valves on bailouts. Then reg position and body orientation would always be the same, regardless of which side it was on.

So what would be the disadvantages? I am posting this in both the sidemount and rebreather forums.

Do you mean Top Handled Valves like http://www.godive.net/brands/beaver-sports/beaver-euro-top-handled-valve.html

If so, the main issues i foresee could be on your left post, where the regulator hose comes up from the 1st stage, this could interfere with valve handle operation, and also there may be little to hook a Loop Bungee around, assuming you use loop bungee?

Never tried it, but they would be the first things that come to mind that would need to be "tested" before i'd consider it properly.

Nope, not the top handle ones. Rebreather AP style inline valves like this.

Attachments

• valve-i.jpg
    valve-i.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 217
What's the issue with filling the right tank with the right gas? I mean, you know what cylinder should have what gas and then you're fine with your left-lean right-rich thingy?
Else, if you use standard valves, on one of them you can just wrap around the handwheel instead of the extension (ie turning the tank around) and your 1st stages will be just as usual.
inline should work as well imo. Just wrap around the valve or 1st stage. Else you can use a clipped bungee that you simply wrap around the tank neck.

Hope this helps.

Since these are bailouts, they don't usually get used. I might carry 21/35 and 50% on one dive, vs 50% and 80% on another dive. The 50% is rich on the first one but not on the second.

I've been using a ring system for years, but am looking for something better and more uniform. I really think the inline valves can work.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

I'm no sidemount guru, but i don't see a problem with it. It might take a couple tries to work out the best hose routing, but with knobs away from you the regs would be well protected. it's a nice idea to have ambidextrous tanks. if you try it out, please post some pics?

Ken, I don't see anything wrong except that the DIN opening is much closer to the tank than the DIN opening of a convertible valve. This is no problem if using a straight through reg like a Mk-2 or a Sherwood, but if using an angled reg like a Mk 25 or an XT-1, you might have to turn the barrel a little bit to make it fit. Additionally, hose routing could be awkward. I could throw a line valve in an AL-80 for you and stick an Atomic in it and take pictures if you don't have all of the parts yourself. I just spent a couple of hours breaking down doubles and RB cylinders for hydro. I happen to have all of the parts extremely handy.

Thanks Frank. I didn't think about distance from the tank. I had no idea they were shorter. My rEvo and JJ both use online valves, but it's not something I noticed. I'll have to check.

Thanks for the offer of photos, but I figured it was worth a try and ordered 4 more valves yesterday. I'll throw a couple on some tanks I just got back from hydro and play around with my HOG 1st stages to see if I can get the routing acceptable. I'll worry about rigging alignment later.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

I'm sure it will work for you, but if it just won't, I'll buy your valves.... If they are Blue Steel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom