Inner ear infections

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIHappyDiver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
The last 2 years I have taken a week long dive trip in January, diving 15 plus dives on each trip. Within 3 days of returning from both trips I have developed bilateral inner ear infections. For the next one coming up, my doctor, a nondiver, is sending me with amoxi/clav (augmentin) to start taking if I feel anything brewing. However, she had no suggestions to help keep it from happening.
Any input on ways to stop this before it starts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Erik

The swimmers ear drops available at any pharmacy help me, I used to get ear infections from just looking at the water when I first started.

P.S. do you five year around?

The swimmers ear drops available at any pharmacy help me, I used to get ear infections from just looking at the water when I first started.

P.S. do you dive year around?

I had inner ear infections after nearly every dive.

I use normison ear spray now and it is getting better(you can use other sprays . But I still have a very dry itching ear tube. With oil (vaxol) it is slidly better..

I am very interested if someone has a good solution to inner ear and ear tube infections

The last 2 years I have taken a week long dive trip in January, diving 15 plus dives on each trip. Within 3 days of returning from both trips I have developed bilateral inner ear infections. For the next one coming up, my doctor, a nondiver, is sending me with amoxi/clav (augmentin) to start taking if I feel anything brewing. However, she had no suggestions to help keep it from happening.
Any input on ways to stop this before it starts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Erik
I assume you mean middle ear infections (otitis media) since those are often treated with oral antibiotics but middle ear symptoms after diving is more likely middle ear barotrauma and the way to prevent this is through better equalization.

Middle-Ear Barotrauma (MEBT) | Ears & Diving - DAN Health & Diving

The other possibility is external ear infections or “ear tube” otherwise known as swimmer’s ear (otitis externa) and the best prevention here is one of the many “ear beer” formulas, either bought or home brew. I prefer a 50:50 mix white vinegar and alcohol but there are many other versions. I use it after each day of diving.

Here is a commercial option...

EarShield | Dive Gear Express®

I assume you mean middle ear infections (otitis media) since those are often treated with oral antibiotics but middle ear symptoms after diving is more likely middle ear barotrauma and the way to prevent this is through better equalization.

Middle-Ear Barotrauma (MEBT) | Ears & Diving - DAN Health & Diving

The other possibility is external ear infections or “ear tube” otherwise known as swimmer’s ear (otitis externa) and the best prevention here is one of the many “ear beer” formulas, either bought or home brew. I prefer a 50:50 mix white vinegar and alcohol but there are many other versions. I use it after each day of diving.

Here is a commercial option...

EarShield | Dive Gear Express®

Thank you, yes, I do mean middle ear. I thought equalization might come into play, and it has been easier lately, so maybe this year will be better. I really hate augmentin.

Thanks again!

P.S. do you five year around?

Not year around up here. AfterDark and I were planning to dive a couple of weeks ago but my cold tolerance (and his too, I think) just isn’t what it used to be. Probably start up again in April or May. Always looking for new dive buddies, so keep me in mind come spring time.

As @uncfnp said, MIDDLE EAR (not outer ear) infections are a result of poor equalization. Blood leaks into the middle ear from the barotrauma and sets up a field for infection. You really need to concentrate on equalization.
"Early and Often" means > at the surface, and every 2 feet down to 30 feet, where you can carefully back off.
ANY PAIN AT ALL > STOP!!!!!! Ascend until there is no pain and pressure, and.......gently.....try again.
You should be clearing with ANY hint of pressure.
Go as slowly as you need to.
Practice numerous times during the day prior to a trip. If you can't clear on land, you can't clear in the water.

You could have a narrowing of the ear canal (surfers ear) which increases the frequency of ear infections dramatically unless you mange to get into a great post dive cleaning routine.

Surfers ear is fixable but you really don't want to have to fix it, I am holding off having the op as it is brutal

Equalize all the time and by that I mean, right now, as you sit looking at the screen.
Get your ears in shape. I'm not suggesting a vasalva with your nose pinched and blow. I'm talking more like a swallow and lower jaw thrust/wiggle like you would do on an airplane. You should be able to hear your ears equalize.

It's like working out your other muscles :)

Then when comes time to dive, gently gently is the key, early and often, never force it, feeling pressure, rise a bit in the water column, and so on and so on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom