Innovative ways to make noise underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My SeaStorm whisle works underwater, and you don't need another piece of gear.

I've heard the Subduck underwater. Sounds more like a mid-pitched "eeeeee" buzz. Almost like the perceived sound when you get a mild electrical shock.

One thing to remember when using such devices is how sound travels underwater, as well as the distance.

When I heard the "ducks", I swear there were two of them on the complete otherside of the quarry and they were playing their version of the poolside passtime, "Marco Polo".

I found it kinda annoying after a time.

One technique I have read about (and want to try) is cupping your hands to form an air bubble around your regulator and then yelling through your reg. From what the article/post said, if your successful, you can generate a pretty lound sound and quite possibly intelligent speach. (well, just speach when dealing with NetDoc and Iggie D)

A "Hammerhead" can be truely annoying if it is used as: "Quack, Quack. . . look at this fish"- - -"Quack, Quack. . . look at this other fish."

We rarely use our "Hammerheads," and when my wife uses hers, it means: "Quack, Quack. . .there is a Bull Shark looking at your stringer."

I don't endorse "Hammerheads" as a shark defense, but I have seen Bull Sharks turn tail when they hear it.

I rattle my spear against the speargun or clap both hands together heel of palms together.

Originally posted by Kaffphine
My SeaStorm whisle works underwater, and you don't need another piece of gear.

How well do those work underwater? I just got a "windstorm" (the smaller version) and noticed that it said it worked under water but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I did blow into it in the house and it is the loudest thing I've ever had that close to my head. :dj:

Yeah, I've seen instructors punch an open palm with a fist and it seems to travel a fair distance. Never got the hang of it myself though. need...more...macho... Anybody know what's the correct technique? (e.g. which part of the palm to punch, how to form the fist, which part of the fist to use, etc.)

Yeah, I saw my instructor do this, and thought it was a cool enough idea to figure out.

lessee... closed right fist. Not too tight (like you're about to punch), but solid. Actually, a sign language 'e' is extremely close.

Bring your left palm heel so that it strikes the first joint of your right index finger, with a good mass of the heel covering the hole made.

You can practice out of water, it really isn't hard. But I've heard a SeaDuck (or maybe it was a hammerhead) on our OWC, and it is MUCH more audible. Also, the hand technique doesn't work well with gloves.

I would think the Duck would be best for class situations, in which you want to have a signal to surface or something (we used it in such a way on our river drift dive).

Jeff

According to the instructions that came with my torch, if you don't put the batteries in correctly, it may "explode with a loud noise". Might be difficult to make it go bang at the right moment.

One of my instructors slaps the face of his watch with the palm of the other hand.

Z

i heard an instructor complain that he was using his torch as a tank banger. Darn thing flooded after that! *duh*

So, i wouldn't go round slapping my watch face or dive computer. $200 pieces of equipment are not necessarily indestructible!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom