Innovative ways to make noise underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by donacheson
I hate to be a party pooper, but why not leave the noisemakers behind?

Because when I see that pretty little seahorse - I want to get someone's attention so I can share the experience with my dive buddies around me. :)

Has anyone tried one of those cheap (.50 cent) dog training clickers underwater? Do they work?

It's a sharp, loud noise above water, but below water maybe it'd produce that softer tick-tick sound you'd need to get the attention of your buddy nearby withOUT having to unsheath a dive tool, and withOUT bothering everyone else within 100 yrds.

The other thing I heard of (but have yet to actually see) is a couple of glass beads/plastic marbles on a slender bungee cord around the wrist. Theoretically, this stays rolled up on your wrist and out of the way most of the time. But when you're ready to use it, you just roll it down into your hand so it's instantly accessible. The thin cord just stretches around your open palm under the thumb with the beads on the palm-side. Similar to how a life-guard or coach wraps the whistle cord around his hand, palming the whistle. This way your hand and fingers are still free to function normally, clearing masks, turning knobs, grabbing consoles, etc.

Then you're either supposed to be able to reach your hand back and smack your tank (open handed) whenever you want to make a louder CLACK sound. Or, for the occassional tick-tick "look at that fish" signal, you just clench your fist, making the beads click together. Like holding two small marbles in your hand, clicking against each other whenever you want.

tomcat:
Yeah, I've seen instructors punch an open palm with a fist and it seems to travel a fair distance. Never got the hang of it myself though. need...more...macho... Anybody know what's the correct technique? (e.g. which part of the palm to punch, how to form the fist, which part of the fist to use, etc.)

Its a secret that we only tell when you get the instructor card. Kinda like the secret handshake of the masons.

Also, you can take your reg out, and press your palm to your face. When you blow really hard, it makes a great farting sound that carries really well underwater.

I'd like to cast my vote against any of the quacking inflator-hose connected noise makers, those things are so abrasive, and so annoying underwater, the last thing I want to do is look at or communicate with the person using it. For tropical, I've found cupping one hand to form an tube and smacking the top of the tube with an open palm works well, and lately, in cold water, in the case that I desperately need to get my buddy's attention and he's not doing paying attention to his buddy like a good diver does, I just grab a rock off the bottom and tap the bottom of whatever tank I'm using.
I kind of like the idea of making a little maraca type device, with BBs or something in a sealed tube, because it could be nice and compact, and I could play music with it while waiting out safety stops.

actually, the subduck came out before the hammerhead. The subduck is more compact than the hammerhead. The subduck "quacks" and the hammerhead 'beeps'. The only thing I don't like about the hammerhead, is the long resonating chamber. It is much longer than the subduck and is somewhat cumbersome.

HaoleDiver:
I'd like to cast my vote against any of the quacking inflator-hose connected noise makers, those things are so abrasive, and so annoying underwater, the last thing I want to do is look at or communicate with the person using it. For tropical, I just grab a rock off the bottom and tap the bottom of whatever tank I'm using.
I kind of like the idea of making a little maraca type device, with BBs or something in a sealed tube, because it could be nice and compact, and I could play music with it while waiting out safety stops.

1.I'm voting for the Hammerhead..We use regularly and disciplined..not for hey look at every little fish We see.

2. I'm communicating with My Buddy who also has one and that is the way we Communicate.

3. For Tropical, You grab a Rock...You must have alot of time on Your hands..I Dive Tropical everyday..can't remember the last time I saw a Rock.

4. One more device to carry...just what I need..

5. Then You talk about playing music at a safety stop..and You say noisemakers are abrasive..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom