Inon 2000 ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wildcard

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
What does the little magnet do? My didn't come with one, I was just wondering....Thanks

I'm not pulling out my manual to read about it either so all I can tell you is it has something to do with an electrical TTL connection as opposed to optical. If you're using optical the magnet has no function.

Wildcard:
What does the little magnet do? My didn't come with one, I was just wondering....Thanks

It has to do with the Advanced Cancel Circuit Switch. The type of camera you are using determines the position of the switch.

Inserting the magnet sets the switch to "Off"

I have the D-180 manual chart handy. My chart is Version 1 dated October 2003. Tell me what camera you are using and I'll look it up and post the answer here.

Wildcard:

As Gilligan said, it controls the Advanced Cancel Circuit. ACC was designed for cameras that emit a preflash.

Advanced Cancel Circuitry (ACC) increases camera battery life and also speeds up the camera's flash recycle time.

The default setting on a D 180 or D 2000 strobe has ACC activated. In other words you do not have to take any actions to activate the system. You only have to take an action, in this case installing a magnet, to deactivate the system. ACC was designed for cameras that emit a preflash. A preflash aids the camera in determining exposure. If your camera emits a single preflash, then it has the ability to take advantage of Advanced Cancel Circuitry. If however your camera does not emit a preflash, you must shut off the ACC. To shut off ACC, you must install the magnet into the strobe.

As you read this explanation of ACC, keep in mind that the camera's onboard flash is blocked from influencing the actual composition. A digicam's onboard flash's responsibility in this situation is only in sending an optical signal to fire the external Inon strobe.

ACC "magnifies" the preflash.

When ACC is activated, the Inon strobe "replaces" the relatively "less intense preflash pulse" (which is blocked from influencing the composition) with an artificially "magnified blast" of preflash light of its own. The camera sensor instead detects the "magnified blast" and calculates the exposure with that information. The camera is fooled into thinking that there is much more light present in the composition. Since the camera now feels there's a significant amount of light present due to the feedback it received from its sensor, it commands its own onboard flash to emit a much smaller amount of strobe energy for the main shutter event.

Less onboard flash energy emitted, less camera battery energy used. Shorter onboard flash duration, quicker recycle time for camera's flash to recharge equals quicker turnaround time for next image capture.

When you set the strobe to S-TTL, the camera is responsible for controlling strobe output. In this case, the Advanced Cancel Circuitry is automatically deactivated so as not to confuse the calculations.

Stupid question time. I just received my D2000 to go with my S80. Unfortunately several of the "manuals" (for the adapter for example) were in Japanese so I'm not exactly positive what all the parts do! I did put the adapter on the Canon case and as I thought, it has black plastic part which fits over the S80 flash area. Just for kicks I took a picture of the camera pointed at a window (mirror) and was surprised to see a bright flash spot on the window.

In addition to the black plastic, does anyone know if I'm supposed to put something else over the S80 flash? Or, once I've attached the D2000 strobe, will the remaining S80 flash be irrelevant?

The black patch will basically smother the camera's flash so the housing doesn't light up like a haloween pumpkin as well interfere with your picture. At the same time the black patch converts the flash to infra-red light and transmits it via the fiber optic cable to the Inon strobe causing it to fire.

There should have been a clear plastic strip included to put over the cameras flash between the camera and the black patch. Supposedly it protects the camera from any damage that may result from the black patch. I don't use one with my substitute patch.

If you need replacements for the black patch I have a substitute for them on my site

Im shooting a Oly 5060. I need to download an english version of the manual, if they have one. Thanks G!

Wildcard:
Im shooting a Oly 5060. I need to download an english version of the manual, if they have one. Thanks G!

Sorry, my manual was before the 5060.

HAve you tried the Inon Americam website?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom