Inon, catch me up please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

-Overall, it seems like competitors like SeaandSea and Inon are innovating and Ikelite is effectively just coasting on their current design
The problem with Inon and Sea & Sea strobes, mostly on the high end, is that they're punching up the power, but not doing much about heat dissipation, making it increasingly likely to burn out the tubes by thermal overload. Ikelite's strobes are big, so they're better at absorbing the heat, but you've got to deal with the bulk. Best of both worlds is probably Retra, with an aluminum housing that is roughly the same size as a Z330, and using standard AA cells (up to eight of them for faster cycle time), but it comes with a certain price premium.

The problem with Inon and Sea & Sea strobes, mostly on the high end, is that they're punching up the power, but not doing much about heat dissipation, making it increasingly likely to burn out the tubes by thermal overload. Ikelite's strobes are big, so they're better at absorbing the heat, but you've got to deal with the bulk. Best of both worlds is probably Retra, with an aluminum housing that is roughly the same size as a Z330, and using standard AA cells (up to eight of them for faster cycle time), but it comes with a certain price premium.

That makes sense. You can only out-engineer the laws of thermodynamics for so long.

If memory serves, the current S200 type II product page does devote some copy to “redeisgned heat dissipation’ or the like, and the Inon OEM neoprene covers have a slit cut in them to “enable heat dissipation”. Relevant point being, it wouldn’t surprise me if Inon acknowledges the issue in upcoming models.

I have heard from a reef photo retailer that Inon can no longer get a component needed for their Inon 330. So they are doing a redesign that presumably does not require the missing component.

I have heard from a reef photo retailer that Inon can no longer get a component needed for their Inon 330. So they are doing a redesign that presumably does not require the missing component.
Given the current problems getting electronic components I can understand their problem.

Also waiting for the updated Z330 as my upgrade from the current S2000 that we shoot with. *waiting not-too-patiently...*

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom