Inon D 180 strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chickdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I'm currently looking at strobes- and I have a query for those using the Inon D-180. The only strobe options I have are the Inon or the Ikelite 200 or 400 series (I need a depth rating greater than 200'). I've spoken with both Backscatter and Marine Camera today, and they discouraged the Inon, since it would have to be used in manual mode (which, incidentally, the Ikelite's require too, according to the folks at Ikelite). I was looking for some real world experience with them. They are much more economical than the Ike's and I like the size- especially since I will need 2 (I shoot primarily wide angle).

Thanks

Chickdiver,

I use my Inon 180 solely in manual mode. I only have one and use it with a C5050 in an Olympus PT-015 housing. I'm not sure why it is discouraged to be used in manual mode, I did not have a problem, nothing that couldnt be adjusted right away.

I have only 30 dives with my setup and the pictures I took were just incredible to me on such experience. I read the manual three times and practiced on land with the strobes adjustments and got to learn it pretty well. I recommend the Inon 180 as do many others.

Jason

Thanks- I thought it was pretty odd that I was being steered away from the D 180 since I have read many recommendations from people using it. I was mostly looking to confirm what I had read (BTW- I am shooting a C 5050 too, but in the Light and Motion Tetra housing)- it's afantastic camera!

Oh- another question (likely a dumb one)- do the strobes rely in any way on the camera flash when used with the PT housing? I ask because the Tetra housing is solid, so the camera flash is useless.

I find that I'm using mine in manual more and more. The pseaudo TTL only gets me in the ball park and I still have to faniggle with it. I find the manual to be much easier. Could just be me!

chickdiver:
Oh- another question (likely a dumb one)- do the strobes rely in any way on the camera flash when used with the PT housing? I ask because the Tetra housing is solid, so the camera flash is useless.
Yes, the D-180 is a slave strobe. It has a mask system that fits over the cameras internal flash that turns it into infrared light. This then triggers the strobes. The only drawback I've come across with this is if, for whatever reason, the strobe stops working, I can't switch to the cameras internal flash. With the YS90DX, all I had to do was remove the velcro patch holding the fiber optic sync cord and use the cameras flash.

i don't see any reason you couldn't use the Inon if it meets your depth requirements.

Thanks Dee. I think you just sold me on the Inon.

chickdiver, the inon will only trigger from your cameras internal flash. I don't think the tetra housing will be compatible.

OK, if the thing that goes over the flash goes on the INSIDE of the housing it will work. If it goes on the OUTSIDE of the housing it will not. It sure would be damned nice if someone would give a compatibility list that included the L&M housings......

OK thanks. so I am back to square 3 now, which appears to be the only square... the ungodly expensive Ikelites.....

Back
Top Bottom