Inon s-2000 review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dirtfarmer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just got back from Cozumel and was using my Inon S-2000 for the first time. I had researched strobes quite a bit and bought the S-2000 for its compactness, power, and price. It's very small, has good power, and and I think a good value and will serve me for many years. I must say I'm very pleased with it. It has lots of power for wide angle shots and very good adjustability for macro work. I'm still learning with it and don't even think I've found how much power it really has. I was shooting walls ten feet away and even had overexposures and wasn't even at full power. I really enjoy being able to shoot wide angle with true colors and it's going to give me much more light balance in my macro photos. It's recycle time is fast and battery use is very low. I was a bit worried that I would take quite a bit of time getting comfortable with it but found my diving skills not even challenged, and was able to figure out adjusting the power pretty quickly. I can hardly wait till I can use it again.

Great to hear your feedback. I bought one as well to use with my G10 and will be using it for the 1st time when I travel to Lembeh in just 4 weeks! Would love to hear any tips you may have as well as the setting you used with it.

Would it be possible for you to post a pic of your setup... trying to pick brains to see just how to adjust the arms for macro and reef shots. I haven't worked with a strobe for more than 15 years! :blinking:

I use 2 S2000 with my Canon 50D in a Subal housing for some great pics on a recent trip to the Philippines. Great strobes for macro, not quite big enough for shooting wide angle with the 10-17 but really nice for macro. Some pics in a few days.
Bill

The tray/arm I'm using is the very basic Inon d-4 with a z joint. I might get a ball joint set up in the future to get the strobe up over the camera for my macro shots.At some times I was aiming the strobe away from the subject quite a bit. The wireless set up (mirror) works just fine so far but I haven't used it with lots of other photographers around which might set it off. It did flash once coming out of the water when the sun hit it just right. I used the sttl setting and the manual setting both. I would adjust them according to how my pictures were showing up on the screen. I was dialing down the power quite a bit. ( I was shooting at avg. depth of 50ft.) I didn't get to shoot as many wide angle shots in as I'd have liked but did find some shots at 10ft away were overexposed at full power and using the diffuser. I can't wait to use it again to do some more wide angle work. Luckily my next trip is in January to the Corn Islands in Nicaragua.

One thing I learned in the Philippines is that small gasoline powered motors that are used in most of the boats generate enough interference to make the strobes fire like crazy. Very strange but perfectly reproducible.
Bill

I use 2 x S2000 with Panasonic LX3 in 10Bar housing, I find that these are amazing strobes relating to their dimensions! Some people used to YS-250 have been surprised by they power..

Here's some pics taken with S2000:

banco028.jpg

banco015.jpg

banco030.jpg

banco014.jpg

banco025.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom