Inon S2000 Magnet Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trigfunctions

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all - I just picked up a used Inon S2000 (without a manual, of course), and I have a couple questions if anyone has a moment to explain some things. Thanks.

1. The strobe did not include the little magnet or the screw that holds it in place. Is there any harm in diving without that screw in place, with our without the magnet?

2. From what I've found online, adding the magnet shuts off the feature that allows the camera flash to fire at a lower level when using the strobe in manual mode. Thus, the magnet is only needed for some very specific uses that don't apply to most circumstances. Is that correct, or does anyone else have a better explanation.

Last edited:
Opinions vary on this because there are 'those' that read more than they dive and try to suggest that the magnet is necessary and then there are 'those' that dive with the equipment all the time and practical experience shows that you are correct and the magnet is only needed under some 'very' specific circumstances.
As far as I know the magnet hole is a sealed tube in the casing and water cannot get into the strobes electrictronics. . .
Bruce

Thanks for the info. I confirmed that the screw does not need to be in place with or without the magnet. As far as the settings, I've used it without the magnet just fine, but I'm sure there are circumstances when it would be useful and maybe even better, but since I don't have the magnet it's moot for me.

Opinions vary on this because there are 'those' that read more than they dive and try to suggest that the magnet is necessary and then there are 'those' that dive with the equipment all the time and practical experience shows that you are correct and the magnet is only needed under some 'very' specific circumstances.
As far as I know the magnet hole is a sealed tube in the casing and water cannot get into the strobes electrictronics. . .
Bruce

I've dove enough with my camera and INON strobes to know that in my case the magnet is a necessity otherwise it doesn't work properly.

There's no harm in diving without the screw in place, as the hole is sealed.

To answer your second question, for SOME cameras, you will need the magnet in place in order to shoot in manual. Such cameras include the Canon S95. From comments from others on the board, it sounds like most cameras don't need the magnet to shoot in manual.

James

I've dove enough with my camera and INON strobes to know that in my case the magnet is a necessity otherwise it doesn't work properly.

Instead of trying to win cheap points with snide comments, why don't you list 'your' camera so that those on the forum that aren't as 'informed' as you can find out what cameras do and don't need the magnet?
Bruce

Actually it would be nice if Inon put out such a list.

G/S Series Camera Mode--Camera Flash Mode ---- Preflash---Inon S/D Series Magnet Switch--Inon S Op Mode-- Inon D Op Mode
Program-------------------------- Auto -----------------Yes -------------NA ------------------------------sTTL ---------------sTTL
Auto Tv/Auto Av ----------------Default Auto ---------Yes -------------NA -------------------------------sTTL ---------------sTTL
Auto Tv/Auto Av ----------------Default Auto ---------Yes -------------Remove Magnet -----------------NA ----------------EA
Auto Tv/Auto Av ----------------Select Manual --------No -------------Install Magnet -------------------Manual -----------Manual or EA
Manual --------------------------- Manual --------------No -------------Install Magnet -------------------Manual -----------Manual or EA

This table is true of any camera, not just Canon G/S that have a preflash in some modes by default, selectable in other modes and no preflash in manual etc.

---------- Post Merged on August 1st, 2012 at 10:16 PM ---------- Previous Post was on July 31st, 2012 at 07:18 PM ---------

NA means Not Applicable

N

Instead of trying to win cheap points with snide comments, why don't you list 'your' camera so that those on the forum that aren't as 'informed' as you can find out what cameras do and don't need the magnet?
Bruce

Simply commenting that some that dive more than they read know that the magnet is necessary for their camera. I intentionally didn't mention my camera as the original poster didn't mention his camera and you seemed to group everyone together in your post. Did I read your original post incorrectly?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom