Inon z-330 vs two ys-01’s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GirlonFire

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello folks,

At the moment I shoot with a tg5 in a pt-058 housing and have been only using the internal flash and an ORCATORCH D550.
I am looking for lights and was considering the Symbiosis SS3 at one point but now think strobes may be better in the long run.
I prefer stills/macro but like to shoot WA if the opportunity arises.
Would one Inon z330 be preferable to 2 ys-01’s?

As this will be my first foray into true external lights, are these options overkill?
Would a focus/video light be necessary? Could I use one for videos? Or could I continue to use my torch?
Thank you in advance.

With the TG-5 you can get away shooting macro with only a video light (there is a tutorial on the Backscatter site). Shooting with a single strobe is different but some folks like Richard Salas can get astounding photos with only a single strobe. Most of us though use two strobes. Also look at the Inon S2000s they are great.
Bill

When my older Inon D-2000 failed due to a water leak, I bought a Z-330. Love it! They are fantastic strobes and I wouldn't have anything else.

When it comes to underwater photography and lighting, there's not much that's overkill, I don't think. Certainly not one strobe.

You can get good photos with one strobe, but 2 is almost always better.

My philosophy is buy the best strobes you can afford. If you can only afford 1 Z330, then get that with a plan to save up for another one. One Z330 won't be quite as good as 2 x YS-01s, but 2 x Z330 will be much better!

A nice thing about strobes is that they will carry right over when (if) you buy a better camera. Unlike some things, like lenses or whatever.

One of my friends just got 2nd place in the Point & Shoot camera category at the NC Wreck Shark Shootout shooting a TG-5 with 2 x Z330. She got some great photos!

Would one z330 plus a video light or torch suffice while I get my UWP footing? With the thought of adding another in the near future.
I wouldn’t want to buy the 2 YS-01s and regret it.

Would one z330 plus a video light or torch suffice while I get my UWP footing? With the thought of adding another in the near future.
I wouldn’t want to buy the 2 YS-01s and regret it.

I am far from an expert. But, I would think that a video light would be superfluous in that situation. It might be useful just as a focusing aid, but if you have much ambient light at all, you wouldn't need that.

If you are staying with compacts a pair of S-2000 can be had for the price of one Z-330 and are powerful enough as the likes of the TG-5 are either f2 or f2.8 so are less demanding on flashes.The S-2000 pair would also be fine if upgrading to a 1" sensor compact like a G7X-II . Getting a little marginal for mirrorless m43 cameras but still usable. So a reasonable upgrade path with them.

If you are only doing macro then 2 x S2000 will be fine (I often only use these on an Olympus EM-1 Mark II) but if you want to do wide angle then more powerful strobes will be much much more useful. Personally I would get the 330 then save up for a second one. OR (I know there are too many choices) you might get a pair of used Z240s.
Bill

Back
Top Bottom