Inon Z330 or S-2000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eatdivebike

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This may look a little stupid but I really wanted to hear some inputs. I'm on a TG5 setup with a UWLD 10K video light (on order - currently on 2x Archon video lights). I thinking of adding 1x strobe. I do mostly wide angle on the UWL04. I like the S-2000 for the size but understand that the Z330 is more suited for wide-angle shots.

However there's a feeling I have that the Z330 might be an overkill for my setup. My current setup is just the TG5 attached to a long float arm via the shoe mount and the video light. With the strobe, I would mount it next to the video light using a triple clamp. Overall size is a concern for travel. I also do cave/wreck dives.

Would love to hear your inputs! Thanks!

Light rules in UW photography - especially in WA. I shoot dual S2000s but my wide stuff (which I only shoot rarely) is typically close focus so not an issue. Not sure what the TG5 can stop down to but if you aren't much beyond F10 you may not need the extra. Not optimal but you can fix it in post. There haven't been many times, but there have been more then a few where I needed some extra 'reach' that a bigger strobe could have gotten. Can't say it is worth carrying though. Really depends on what you normally shoot. If you're a portrait or macro guy then likely not.

The TG5 is a compact so you don't need to stop it down, the sensor is a 6x crop factor so setting it at f2.8 gives the same DOF as f16 on a full frame camera. So if you are shooting at f2.8 then you should have plenty of power with the little S-2000.

Where you might run into trouble is with the 165° field of view with the UWL04. The S-2000 does about 100° coverage so having two of them would probably be needed to get full coverage across the frame. The Z330 does 120° so really not a huge difference for coverage of your subject, with either flash you would need to zoom in to get the field fully lit if you only had one of them.

Agreed to what Chris said. But u can also do selective illumination. U use ur strobe to brighten the subject selectively, and let natural lighting take care of the remaining.

In that case, either strobe is also ok.

However, if u really need to stay away from the subject for coverage and whatever reason, a GN33 will come in handy.

Thank you everyone for your advice! I'm leaning towards the S-2000 for the price and form factor.

sure you have purchased, but if not or if any other community interested, I purchased two INON Z330s last year. I posted observations here

I'm currently also looking for INON strobes for my RX100M3 in Isotta housing.
  • I guess two S2000 will be better for me than a single Z330 (correct me if wrong). Their energy output will be smaller (2xGN20 is less than GN33), but with two strobes I can move them farther outside for WA, this should give me more even lighting with fewer shadows, right? For macro and CFWA two S2000 will be strong enough for a compact camera, right? How about shooting big scene with a compact and dual S2000?

• Why would one pick D200 over S2000? They both have GN20 but D200 is much more expensive. I don't see the compelling difference yet. Is it because of the integrated pilot light?

• I wonder if I'll run into situations where two Z330 will be needed. I don't want to buy two S2000 just to find out I often need more. But I also don't want to buy two Z330 and always carry that load on travel for no good reason. Maybe dual Z330 is needed for DSLR big scene only and doesn't make too much sense with compact cameras?

• Does it make sense to mix one Z330 with one S2000? Won't work with TTL I guess, but with manual settings I could make them equal; or use the S2000 as a filler for shadows with a stronger Z330.

You might want to look at this as a Buy Once vs Buy Twice situation. Any way you slice it two 330's will be a better solution. I don't think DSLR vs Compat enters into it. You need lighting regardless of the camera form factor.

If you are not ready for two 330's now, buy one an add another later. Don't get a second lower powered strobe as a stop gap. Ultimately you will wish you had two 330's and will have spent more money at the end of the day. There are a lot of advantages beyond cost in having two of the same product vs mix and match. Easier to maintain, setup, learning curve of the quirks of each model.

Learn to use 1 strobe effectively and you can add a second one as you start to feel the limitations or want to experiment with more dramatic lighting options.

If you are serious about WA then get two Z330. The s2000 is quite nice but not really a good WA strobe.
BVA

Back
Top Bottom