• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

DIR- GUE Input and Advice on my GUE Training Path and GUE Courses

Discussion in 'DIR' started by OctoHelm, Oct 22, 2020.

1. CheckedBubbles

CheckedBubbles DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Sure, for most of that dive site it's not necessary but doubles open up some other options. It's an easy to kick to the trench at N. Monastery to get in a tech dive. The deco in the kelp forest is really nice. There's also some awesome topography South of South Monastery that is accessible by scooter.

But "why would you bother" is a totally different point than "can't actually access in doubles at all".

2. rjack321

rjack321 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Was more thinking about the exit than the entry. The OP is years away from tech training, but he's young so has plenty of "let's not do that again" moments ahead in his career :)

CheckedBubbles likes this.
  3. CheckedBubbles

CheckedBubbles DIR Practitioner

Haha, I would do it again :)

Gotta be REALLY picky about the days you try it and time your exit with the wave sets. Doubles could easily make an exit very sketchy if you tried on a rougher day.

4. elgoog

elgoog DIR Practitioner

You think I'm 55??? I'll admit I haven't aged well because I drink a lot and don't watch what I eat and am mostly sedentary but jeez man ...

rjack321 likes this.
  5. OctoHelm

OctoHelm ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    Good morning, @tbone1004!

I like that plan of taking it now in doubles, and then diving a lot. It gives me time to decide if I really want to go to T1. I also like how you mention to keep on building relationships with our community. That is definitely important! Thank you so much for your continued advice, it has been immensely helpful.

Heya @CheckedBubbles!

It's good to see someone from BAUE here! I hear that they are a very active dive group. I definitely plan to use my drysuit for fundies, as I run really cold. It's good to know the benefits of T1 in Monterey, so that is helpful to know.

I went to Hidden Beach last time I was in Monterey, and it was great. Good point mentioning the BAUE charters, as that is definitely something I am looking forward to.

Hi @elgoog!

Okay, let me make this clear, whoever came up with the name "Team Half Burrito" is an absolute god. That has to be one of my favorite names ever for a team. Massive kudos to you and your team. It's fantastic!! I love it!! :)

Thanks again to everyone who has replied so far. You are all an invaluable resource for me, and I cannot thank you enough.

Respectfully,

OctoHelm

RainPilot likes this.
  6. beester

beester DIR Practitioner

There was a time when you could do T2 in a cave with GUE (prerequisite was of course being already cave 2 certified). Not sure if that is still the case but I know for a fact that some project organisers wouldn't allow T2 cert divers on the project if they had gotten their T2 in a cave.

Doing long deco in caves vs blue water is totally different. Not only the lack of reference and the fact that you can't totally zone out like you can in your favorite 6m -20ft) spot (hang on the ceiling), but there is also current, not losing the ascend line or your buddys, surface conditions... etc. Same with equipment stress on board... during wreck diving you are much more in a "rush" than during cave diving. A very nice clip shows this in some very spectacular way... let me see if I can find it.

7. ginti

ginti DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    You still can do T2 in caves (under certain conditions), but if you entirely do it in caves you do not get the T2 cert, you get a "C2 hypoxic trimix". The reason for this difference is exactly what you explained

beester, kensuf and RainPilot like this.
  8. OctoHelm

@ginti Good to know about C2 and T2. Hopefully I will get there someday!

This is a bit of a random question, but I think I will ask anyways.

When I dive in my BP/W, I arch my back, and it becomes concave. It is like I am trying to straighten my back out before lifting weights. I don't know why I do that, and as I was practicing a bailout from a feet first ascent in my dry suit, I think that ticked it off. This is not the first time that I have felt pain in my back, so I'd love any feedback on there too.

Back to GUE/DIR things, is there any value in me taking Rec 2? If I get a rec pass from fundies, I could then go to rec 2 and take that in doubles, but I don't know what my goals should be with regards to that.

If anyone has any feedback, questions or comments, please let me know! I'm willing to take as much feedback as I can get.

Thank you all so much!

Respectfully,

OctoHelm

9. rjack321

rjack321 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

I would just take a conventional AOW class from a decent instructor so you have the card if you need it. You don't need Rec2 and its a ton of money which you could instead spend on gear, nitrox, charters, and gas for the car to actually get diving.

10. OctoHelm

I already have my AOW, so Rec 2 doesn't get me anything, so I think I will just stick with prepping for a tech pass with fundies.

Thanks for your input! :)

Respectfully,

OctoHelm