Input Needed for Blue Hole Improvements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ABQdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We had a really interesting meeting this evening.

Marianne Pratt of The Idea Group of Santa Fe has been hired by the City of Santa Rosa to coordinate and facilitate ideas and input for the Santa Rosa in general and Blue Hole specifically.

We met at New Mexico Scuba Center and talked about what we wanted to see in the new improvements at BH, what we liked and did not like about about the area and the way it was run and managed.

She needs more input, suggestions and ideas to make the new improvements as "diver friendly" as possible and to give us a real voice in the process! I suggested that a thread here could garner lots of useful and valuable information for the project and she loved the idea.

Let's hear your thoughts on how we (the diving community) can help the City of Santa Rosa turn the seep in the desert into the Jewel of the Southwest.

Cool beans!
Here are a few ideas to get the ball rolling:

Clean restrooms
Drinking water
Snack bar
Rinse station
Hang to dry stations
Pave parking lot and keep it swept
On site permit sales
Heated indoor lobby area with tables for meetings
Showers
On site Nitrox fills
Night diving
Continued easy access from parking lot
On site O2 and AED
Continued unlimited free access with a permit

1. no more swimmers/jumpers... they are a safety hazzard for all divers, especially on the stairs where they seem to loiter plus their climbing in and out on the edges causes crap to fall in water and mess up the vis. At least make them pay $5 per person for the day and enforce it! I know several people (divers) who have been injured due to these annoying locals. I don't even dive many days we visit BH due to there being so many swimmers/jumpers and I am afraid of getting hurt coming in or out of water.

2. snack bar with hot and cold beverages... Even better yet, put a McDonald's or other fast food place across the street where people can eat between dives.

3. parking lot security and keeping people from parking in the emergency rescue spot(can someone repaint and hang a sign there that says "emergency vehicles only"??

4. ability to dive there during the week without issues, calling to get gate unlocked, no permits, etc.

5. a full-time paying job for Stella

robin:D

I think it would be nice to have some type of satellite dive shop that has actual equipment rentals. When you have the number of students that go to the hole every weekend and be able to get onsite gear in the case of failures or miss-sizing or whatever would be a very nice addition.

Some form of protected area for gearing up and down in case of inclement weather would be nice too, especially if you wanted to increase business in the winter months.

I thot they had their minds made up regardless of what they paying customers wanted. Nice to hear that they might consider our feelings! DDDog, Robin and George have already given such good suggestions, I'll have to reach hard to offer any.

Let me comment on y'all's comments first: Great collections, good mind work here already, but let me offer some thots.....

Clean restrooms: OMG yes. It may cost more than they want to spend to clean as needed, but it's not divers or tourists who are vandalizing them. They could lock them up at 10pm if they can be diligent about unlocking before 8am?

Rinse station? Are you getting a lot of salt there DDog? I know, the water can get murky at times, but I don't use rinse tubs at the ocean anyway; I just don't want to dip my gear in the tank with the pissy wetsuits.

Hang to dry stations: Nice idea, but going to take room from other ideas don't you think?

Pave parking lot and keep it swept: Pave it, yes!

On site permit sales: :dunce: You'd think if they wanted the fees - and the price is currently cheap enough - that they could be there to accept it.

Heated indoor lobby area with tables for meetings: That's going to cost a lot of money and invite abuse from some. I'd rather let them arrange that at the hotels like my LDS does, mostly because I don't want to help pay for them and the cleaning.

Showers: Don't they have some now?

On site Nitrox fills: Nice idea, not likely feasible.

Continued easy access from parking lot: Shouldn't this be at the top of the list?

On site O2 and AED: Yep. :thumb:

No more swimmers/jumpers: I'd agree with no jumping - big fine and enforce it.

Snack bar with hot and cold beverages: That'd be nice, but we are so self sufficient and stingy with money, would be really support one - even on weekends?

Parking lot security and keeping people from parking in the emergency rescue spot(can someone repaint and hang a sign there that says "emergency vehicles only"?? I never knew there was one? There is a no parking area close to the entry stairs; it that it?

Ability to dive there during the week without issues, calling to get gate unlocked, no permits, etc. Nice idea but too expensive to deliver?

Full-time paying job for Stella: I doubt that much can be budgeted other than for weekends, and I don't think Stella wants to be a city employee.

I think it would be nice to have some type of satellite dive shop that has actual equipment rentals: Not enough business to support it I don't think?

Some form of protected area for gearing up and down in case of inclement weather would be nice too, especially if you wanted to increase business in the winter months: I like that one, at least windbreaks - but then anything like that between the road and the hold is going to restrict access.

Now for my own...

Permanent signs - and I hate this, should not have to have them, but some people behaviors indicate such. I know, they'll pretend to not see them, but if there is a sign to point to, it supports the standard customs and avoid personal conflicts...
  1. Stay Right entering & exiting on stairs;
  2. Do not block, loiter or play on stairs;
  3. No equipment on ground between parking lot and the hole;
  4. No equipment on picnic tables.
There was a sign about the picnic tables but it was removed with the building and last time I was there, they were covered in gear. And I know that many Instructors like to think that if they get there first, they have a right to block the area closest to the hole and make it tough on the others; I don't agree.

Don - if facing the Hole, the far left parking spot is actually the emergency spot, it has a chain which can be opened for an ambulance to enter if needed. The spot used to be painted with yellow stripes and has a sign that says emergency vehicles only (or at least it used to have one). No one ever pays attention and I am constantly walking over and asking people to move their vehicle in case an emergency vehicle needs to get in there. (I have been there several times over the years when it WAS necessary).

yes, there are showers and every time I have been in there they work and there was hot water. Clean restrooms - women's room is usually satisfactory but I always hear that the men's room is awful (sounds like the men need to work on their hygiene).

snack bar - too stingy to support? Are you kidding? I can't tell you how many times we have gone to BH for weekend and students show up without any food for the day (even though we give them a checklist of what to bring which clearly states to bring food and drinks and there is nothing there and they may not be given time for a lunch break). We always end up bringing a cooler full of sodas, water cooler, and snacks to hand out to these noodleheads. Occasionally we send one person to McD's to pick up lunch for everyone and it always takes over an hour to get the food, then everyone has to sit for awhile after eating before gearing up again. It would be nice to have something right there (which would save an hour). Especially in winter when cups of coffee or hot chocolate would sell like hotcakes!

Don - if facing the Hole, the far left parking spot is actually the emergency spot, it has a chain which can be opened for an ambulance to enter if needed. The spot used to be painted with yellow stripes and has a sign that says emergency vehicles only (or at least it used to have one). No one ever pays attention and I am constantly walking over and asking people to move their vehicle in case an emergency vehicle needs to get in there. (I have been there several times over the years when it WAS necessary).
I've noticed the No Parking there, did not notice a chain gate, guess I overlooked it, but yeah the need happens, be good to enforce that.
yes, there are showers and every time I have been in there they work and there was hot water. Clean restrooms - women's room is usually satisfactory but I always hear that the men's room is awful (sounds like the men need to work on their hygiene).
I suspect vandals, but I dunno?
snack bar - too stingy to support? Are you kidding? I can't tell you how many times we have gone to BH for weekend and students show up without any food for the day (even though we give them a checklist of what to bring which clearly states to bring food and drinks and there is nothing there and they may not be given time for a lunch break). We always end up bringing a cooler full of sodas, water cooler, and snacks to hand out to these noodleheads. Occasionally we send one person to McD's to pick up lunch for everyone and it always takes over an hour to get the food, then everyone has to sit for awhile after eating before gearing up again. It would be nice to have something right there (which would save an hour). Especially in winter when cups of coffee or hot chocolate would sell like hotcakes!

Okay, I can't keep up with who is teaching or helping with classes if you don't have a Inst or DM badge and I don't think about students much. I guess it would help with them. I'm generally well supplied with warm beverages, would never dream of cold drinks for divers there, and I prefer to sit down in a cafe for lunch - but I see your position, sure. Maybe there would be enough to support a drink bar, but cooking food is a different deal - all the equipment, permits, health requirements, qualified employees, etc for lunch needs, one day a week really, and not all months really.

Now, a local cafe might do a catered event for Saturday lunches if allowed - Bar-B-Q and similar warm sandwiches prepared in advance while supplies last.

Keep it coming!
:bananalama:

We discussed much of these same ideas last night. Good to see that more divers are on the "same page"!

Stella:
Maybe the city could issue a single "concessions" permit. For example, at Blue Mesa Reservoir a single concessions permit is issued. The restaurants, marinas, fuel stations, etc. are covered by that single permit.
If the person who had that permit was Stella, she would not be working for the city. She could "grow" her business, have equity in her business, and eventually sell it when she is ready.

Selling snacks?
Last weekend, I had students who would have bought a lot of cold bottled water!

Jumpers: It seems like disallowing the locals to "participate" in activities at BH, would create some ill will. Maybe they can do it at set times.

If a few dive shops and Instructors would be willing to volunteer time and equipment, maybe locals could be given the opportunity to get certified for a deeply discounted rate. Maybe give them a certification opportunity there twice a year.
Maybe with the use of some of the hotel pools, they could at least be given a Discover Scuba or Resort Dive opportunity.

Nitrox:
It wouldn't be that difficult to set up a mix station for Nitrox. The O2 could be locked off in a secure area behind a steel door that can be accessed from a delivery truck. I've seen Nitrox fill stations on the beach in various Caribbean locales, that are less accessible for delivery, and less secure, but have operated successfully for years.

Rinse Station:
I certainly didn't need it last weekend, but the water has been chalky and acidic in the past, and it left residue on all of my gear. If the final dive of the weekend is Perch, a rinse station would be really nice. Granted, its a luxury, but Kevin asked us for a wish list!
So in the spirit of wishful wishing:

On site hot tubs, spa and massage....:D

Stella:
Maybe the city could issue a single "concessions" permit. For example, at Blue Mesa Reservoir a single concessions permit is issued. The restaurants, marinas, fuel stations, etc. are covered by that single permit.
If the person who had that permit was Stella, she would not be working for the city. She could "grow" her business, have equity in her business, and eventually sell it when she is ready.
I get the impression that Stella likes to keep things as simple as possible, but might be good to explore. Ask her for sure.
Selling snacks?
Last weekend, I had students who would have bought a lot of cold bottled water!
Was the fountain not working? Like I said, I take stuff, but didn't when I was new, I know.
Jumpers: It seems like disallowing the locals to "participate" in activities at BH, would create some ill will. Maybe they can do it at set times.
Allow the swimming - I presume that they're checking their permits too? - but the jumping is dangerous even without divers. With divers, horrible. Kill one diver and assess the ill will and lost business.
If a few dive shops and Instructors would be willing to volunteer time and equipment, maybe locals could be given the opportunity to get certified for a deeply discounted rate. Maybe give them a certification opportunity there twice a year.
Maybe with the use of some of the hotel pools, they could at least be given a Discover Scuba or Resort Dive opportunity.
Interesting idea. Don't think it'll fly, but who knows.
Nitrox:
It wouldn't be that difficult to set up a mix station for Nitrox. The O2 could be locked off in a secure area behind a steel door that can be accessed from a delivery truck. I've seen Nitrox fill stations on the beach in various Caribbean locales, that are less accessible for delivery, and less secure, but have operated successfully for years.
Might ask Stella if she wants to get certified to fill with explosive O2, blend PPOs, etc. :silly:
Rinse Station:
I certainly didn't need it last weekend, but the water has been chalky and acidic in the past, and it left residue on all of my gear. If the final dive of the weekend is Perch, a rinse station would be really nice.
Ok, yeah, I have seen times that the hole was yucky enough I didn't want to take my camera in - but I still don't use pissy rinse tanks. Many would tho. :thumb:
Granted, its a luxury, but Kevin asked us for a wish list!
So in the spirit of wishful wishing:
Good posting!!
On site hot tubs, spa and massage....:D
Bikini models. :cool:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom