Inside the forward machinery space of the Spiegel Grove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt Jim Wyatt

Hanging at the 10 Foot Stop
Staff member
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I shot this with a GoPro -- This is definitely an advanced wreck dive. Max depth 140 fsw.

At what depth is that ?

About 140 fsw Max

What back gas? Run time?

Scary for me to watch. I lost 3 friends there some years ago. Same route I think...

What back gas? Run time?

Scary for me to watch. I lost 3 friends there some years ago. Same route I think...

I was using 21/30 - Run time about 90 minutes. I was diving a full cave rig adapted for wreck. I am aware of your friends' passing inside the wreck, a very unfortunate event.

Anyone attempting such a dive should be in some sort of a doubles configuration or a CCR with training and certification as an advanced wreck diver.

There is no water movement down there and the least bit of silt that is kicked up stays suspended. I did not kick up any silt in this video, however I was on open circuit and my exhaust bubbles created percolation off of the overhead as you can see during my exit.

Who laid that line? If I recall correctly, they relied on the existing line at the time and hung strobes along the route. Line broke and the rest is history. (Using a single AL80 with 28% and leaving a stage outside the wreck played some 'small' role too).

I remember that very well, hard to believe it was nearly 10 years ago. You don't happen to be the 4th diver?

No. That was Howard - he retired and moved to the Keys. I knew him (and them) quite well. I recently attended a burial service at the same funeral home used 10 years ago. It felt like yesterday.

You don't happen to be the 4th diver?

No I was not on that dive team. I would not make that dive with anyone not trained at the advanced wreck level AND wearing double cylinders or a CCR.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom