Instabuddy vs. Dive Safety

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn’t mind being a buddy to a photographer as I like to see interesting small things too, but if the photographer is really engrossed in their work, aren’t I functionally just solo diving if I get into trouble? I’m looking out for him but he’s looking out for a critter.

Depends on the photographer. It is rare I don't know where the DM is - even if I can't see them - they tend to be very predictable. While I do get engrossed in what I am doing, if I have a buddy, I keep an eye on them pretty constantly, and am generally aware of where they are and what they are doing. However there are times where the need to line up the shot means I am focusing on what I am doing not what my buddy is up to. First thing you do after taking the shot is locate your buddy in those situations. Having said all that I much prefer diving solo as a photographer - which is really off topic. I can spend as long as I want on a single creature.

However as a diver I can also spend a long time looking at one thing. Spent about 20 minutes on one dive in Lembeh watching a wonderpus dig a whole new burrow and go from an octopus hunting on the sand to a single eye poking out from the sand. (took a surprisingly long time and a fair amount of work) I think I took 4 shots during the entire process. Not at all photogenic, but really interesting - to me. With a buddy I would have likely had to move on. I like watching the behavior of fish and other creatures. Part of that is that it allows me to attempt to predict what a given creature will do next so I can get a better picture, but part of it is that they are often doing interesting things and often even more interesting things once they have gotten over their initial fright of this huge creature that has just invaded their space.

I never mentioned the word "opinion". Please do not put words in my mouth (on on my keyboard) or infere that I said something which I did not.

Hoag,

What is post #32 if not your opinion, maybe you need to take a pill or a breath and a step backward, just my opinion.

My original post was in aid to the OP, not to your likes/dislikes.

Like the term ''insta-buddy, I find you offensive, again, my opinion.

If you absolutely need to have the last word, knock yourself out.

Rose.

Hoag,

What is post #32 if not your opinion, maybe you need to take a pill or a breath and a step backward, just my opinion.

My original post was in aid to the OP, not to your likes/dislikes.

Like the term ''insta-buddy, I find you offensive, again, my opinion.

Rose.
I am sorry you are so easily offended. Not an opinion. Genuine pity. Fact.

I've had one bad experience with an insta-buddy. He liked to look at everything and stayed behind constantly which always drew the attention of the DM/guide. Finally on the 2nd dive I just ditched him and stayed with another group. Yeah something bad could have happened to him but I got tired of his bs.

Shows your complete disregard for your dive buddy. People go diving to look at things not to get from point to to point b as fast as possible. If the guides only want people to keep up with them shows they are poor guides.

Some mention being paired with an ''insta-buddy'' like they've been handed a death sentence

I would be one of those. To me an insta-buddy presents at best an inconvenience and at worst, a huge liability, not just to my health and well being but also a legal liability should something happen to said insta-buddy on the ensuing dive, even if it was not my fault.

Shows your complete disregard for your dive buddy.

You state the obvious. Clearly he disregarded him since he left him behind!

Several of my "Insta buddies" became my friends and we live in different countries but plan our dive vacations together. A few have come to visit me in Taiwan and I have visited them where they live. I am happy to dive with newly certified divers as much as diving with others. I go on fun dives not to critique every other diver on their diving skills. Many OW & AOW divers don't have dive computers so I will get them to buddy up with me. I like to take photos and video and ask my insta buddies what they like to see. If they don't have a camera I might take a video of photo of them with the marine life and send it to them.

I would be one of those. To me an insta-buddy presents at best an inconvenience and at worst, a huge liability, not just to my health and well being but also a legal liability should something happen to said insta-buddy on the ensuing dive, even if it was not my fault.

You state the obvious. Clearly he disregarded him since he left him behind!
And I'd do it again

Photographers (macro especially) are incompatible with most other divers. .

I find this statement hilarious. I like to take macro shots and my dive buddy will know this. Often they will ask would I send them some photos or video's I take on dives we did together. I have dived with many people who love to be shown creatures they would not have recognized without being shown. Many people pass marine life without even knowing it's there and taking time to show them things they do enjoy. Sometimes I will pair up with other camera users and we can then give each other the space and time we want to get photos or video. Hanging back for this buddy to take her shots but I got great video :)

I often dive with instabuddies and almost always enjoy it. Met some really cool people that ended up being companions on future trips. But its always in warm water and clear recreational diving with a DM in the water with us.

I always take a minimal and laid back approach. I usually channel my best Matthew McConaughey impression and ask the open ended pre-dive question "are you cool?". The responses I get are always varied, sometimes amusing, and tells me alot about the diver, their experience, and their attitutde.

Then I usually just say, "ok, I don't have an octo for you... so if you need gas, just rip it out of my mouth" and then end it with "let's stay with the DM and not die today".

Then right after we splash, I watch them. You can tell immediately if they have it together. If they are paying attention to me underwater, have their buoyancy down, and stay with the DM, I know i'm in pretty good shape.

If they have their act together, but don't stay with the group, I start to split the difference and motion them to buddy up at me. If they don't, then I signal to the DM and let them deal with it while I look for Nudis.

The only variation I take is if they have a big camera rig. Then I usually just say "ok, i'll be with the DM, see you back on the boat". :acclaim:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom