Install purge valve in Oceanic DataMask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the DataMask seems to ride up a little. Not sure why, It may be operator error. I have had to "rearrange" the mask on my face a couple of times during the dive, mostly to keep the HUD in view.

I'll venture to say that's because it's GIGANTIC in every dimension. It's tall, it's wide, it's deep, it's long. It presents a lot of surface area to the water and gets pushed around hydrodynamically - whether currents, surge, or simply moving your head.

When I first started diving I used a TUSA "Visualator" mask, which was huge. I constantly needed to reposition it. Especially in any sort of current. Hell, turning my head quickly would almost twist the mask off my head. I just assumed that's what a scuba mask did. When I switched to a low-profile, low-volume mask (Atomic Frameless) one of the first things I noticed was that it pretty much stayed where I put it on my face.

"As you mentioned about your mask the DataMask seems to ride up a little. "

Could be the enclosed air volume (buoyancy) if it's more than you are used to.
I use the lowest volume masks I can find for that very reason.

I'll venture to say that's because it's GIGANTIC in every dimension. It's tall, it's wide, it's deep, it's long. It presents a lot of surface area to the water and gets pushed around hydrodynamically - whether currents, surge, or simply moving your head.

When I first started diving I used a TUSA "Visualator" mask, which was huge. I constantly needed to reposition it. Especially in any sort of current. Hell, turning my head quickly would almost twist the mask off my head. I just assumed that's what a scuba mask did. When I switched to a low-profile, low-volume mask (Atomic Frameless) one of the first things I noticed was that it pretty much stayed where I put it on my face.

You make a good point. I compared it to my IST imperial mask that I normally use; however, it is about the same size. The DataMask is definitely wider by a good 3/4 inch; but, the rest of the dimensions are about the same. The DataMask is a little less deep and the glass is the same size. There is this big ole' plastic casing sticking out of the bottom outside left corner though. That may cause a little drag. It's certainly a very heavy mask out of the water; but, once in the water it's weight less. I am going to need some dives on it especially in current to see what's causing the slight creep. It's almost not noticeable; but, it's there.

---------- Post added September 7th, 2015 at 07:05 PM ----------

"As you mentioned about your mask the DataMask seems to ride up a little. "

Could be the enclosed air volume (buoyancy) if it's more than you are used to.
I use the lowest volume masks I can find for that very reason.

I wish I could use a low volume mask; but, I can't. I have a high volume nose.

Instead of a purge valve, had a few issues with them back in the day, I found that if I put just a very slight increase in tension on the top of the mask with the strap placement, whenever I breathe out though my nose the bottom edge of the mask moves to release the pressure and always purges the water.

No DIY, just a bit of technique.

Bob
This is a great technique - for those who can get it to work. I've had only limited success. Moving the strap up a bit above where you usually wear it seems to be the trick. I hope it works for you.

It presents a lot of surface area to the water and gets pushed around hydrodynamically - whether currents, surge, or simply moving your head.

Seriously? You think by simply moving your head with a high volume mask there is enough force to actually move it around?

Well the way I know the strap on my swim goggles got loose is when I push off the wall looking a bit more down then forward and I get water in one or both eyes. So it's not entirely out of the question, the question is how you'd generate that much force while scuba diving. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom