Installing kubi glove system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BassO

Registered
Reaction score
I'm tempted to install the kubi system on my suit. But I'm not entirely sure how the airflow to the gloves work. Since you leave the wrist seals in place, how does air flow from the suit to the gloves and back?

Stick a short piece of thick bungee cord under seal sticking out. Works well.

If you have the proper size dry gloves, you don't need to equalize between suit and glove. I've dived mine to 300 feet with no eq tubes. No uncomfortable squeeze. No balloon hands when I get back to the surface.

A friend (actually, my Trimix/Adv Trimix instructor) was talking about needing a straw or something because he lost his and had a dive with balloon hands at the end. His dry gloves were like many I see - way too big for his hands. I gave him a pair of my rubber dry gloves to put on his rings. After diving them, he was pleased that I was right. No straw, no squeeze, and no balloon hands.

These are the same gloves that came with my Kubi rings, and this is where I buy my replacements. They have different sizes.

Ansell 87-118 $4.09 G17K Black Heavyweight, size 10-1/2 | Zoro.com

Currently, $4/pair. They were only about $2 the last time I bought some.

All that said, what I have been told is that to have the WARMEST hands, just leave the wrist seals out completely, so warm air from the suit can move freely into your hands. I have not tried that. I guess my hands haven't been THAT cold yet. And I worry about the consequences if I rip a glove or it pops off at depth.

If the kubi system does not come with it, tou can purchase 2mm OD x 1mm ID silicone tubing feom amazon. I bought 15ft of it and cut 8 inch lengths. If my hands start to get cold, i just raise one at a time higher than body and warm air flows into my gloves. If a glove was to leak, the small inner diameter of the tubing would minimize water flowing into my suit and I can just grap the material of my suit around my wrist and yank the part of the tubing extending i to my glove under my wrist seal/into my suit to stem any further water intrusion beyond my glove.

My glove system came with some tubing but I purchased extra as I found myself forgetting to remove the tubes when peeling off my drysuit.

-Z

I use the little elastic thumb loop that’s attached to my undergarment, just pull it through so it breaks the seal a little. I find that equalizing improves warmth and dexterity. Of course if the glove gets punctured your arm is going to get wet.

I installed the KUBI dry gloves on my DUI CF200 a few months ago. Yep - I've used a tiny bit of my undergarment thumb loop to give some space for air flow. Have not had one drop enter the suit at the glove/ wrist seal yet.

Well I used to use a small tube...but my seals ripped and now I go commando:)

I like the idea of bungee. Bright colored bungee would be easier to see and might even work a little better.

In cold water the squeeze will make your hands cold with dry gloves just like the rest of the drysuit. If you can tolerate the cold the squeeze is not uncomfortable and I find increases dexterity but when I feel cold I will lift each hand and let a little air in for just a little relief. The tubes are really great but you have to remember to remove them and I rarely did. I cut my seals short so the at least should resist a full flood and are much easier to get my hands through, I also use thumb loop to break the seal for better flow.

Back
Top Bottom