Installing spring straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tank29

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Has anyone done this themselves? I like my biofins and decided to get the spring straps for them. The instructions call for 7mm holes in the side wall of the fin/boot area for the spring attachments. I haven't had any luck finding a 7mm punch here in the U.S.

I was wondering if anyone else has done this themselves, how they did it, and how their workaround has been holding up?

Thanks for the help!

Hmmm... I installed my spring straps on the posts of my Apollo Bio-Fins. For some reason I've had to use zip-ties to hold the strap onto the post even though the straps were made for the Bio-Fins. I guess we're speaking about the spring straps that are affixed directly to the fin itself?

Hmmm... I installed my spring straps on the posts of my Apollo Bio-Fins. For some reason I've had to use zip-ties to hold the strap onto the post even though the straps were made for the Bio-Fins. I guess we're speaking about the spring straps that are affixed directly to the fin itself?

One of the main reasons to use spring straps is that they won't break or tear off like the rubber straps will. Using zip-ties seems to defeat that reason (though the second reason - making the fins easier to get on and off, remains intact) :)

One of the main reasons to use spring straps is that they won't break or tear off like the rubber straps will. Using zip-ties seems to defeat that reason (though the second reason - making the fins easier to get on and off, remains intact) :)

If I had a picture of what I'm talking about, I'd post it. The zip ties only ensure that the spring strap clip remains tight on the post. The spring straps are not used directly to attach the strap and the fin post.

If I had a picture of what I'm talking about, I'd post it. The zip ties only ensure that the spring strap clip remains tight on the post. The spring straps are not used directly to attach the strap and the fin post.

Ah, I think I get it - belt and suspender insurance.

The Apollo spring straps require you to modify the posts themselves (actually remove them, I believe).

I went with Innovative springs. They slip right over the posts that the original rubber straps used... no modification, and work like a charm...

(Love the Apollo Bios! -- just preferred to not modify them).

Those instructions are very helpful; there is a lot more detail than found in those that came with the spring straps.

After stepping back for a minute and looking at the difference between 7mm and 9/32" or even 1/4", the delta really should be negligible (<0.02"). I'll try out the new instructions this week and post back my results!

Ok, I installed the spring straps today! They look very sturdy and I can't wait to try them out!

A couple of thoughts to share:

• I used a 1/4" drill to make the holes in the side of the fin pocket. In hindsight, I think that using a dremel with an accessory as pictured in these instructions or bits with a highly angled tip would work better. I used an engraving accessory on the dremel to start the holes (because I don't have many dremel bits) and then went to the drill. It worked fine, but I think just using the one tool would be quicker.
  • On the first pair of holes I made, I didn't double check the measurements against the metal posts. I ended up making the holes spaced too far apart and had to enlarge one of the holes by a couple of mm. The other three pairs of holes went just fine because I double checked the marks I made from the spring base against the posts (page 8-9 in the instructions).
mdb, I have one suggestion for the instructions. In the paper instructions that come with the spring straps, they illustrate a method of marking the holes by putting your foot in the pocket and wrapping the spring around your ankle and marking on where the springs fall on the pocket. This is different from the attached instructions. Those just have you line up the round part of the spring base with the post outline (page 8). Both of these methods essentially determines the tightness of the springs on the foot.

I used a hybrid of the two instructions, where I started from the post outline, but did a sanity check with my foot in the pocket. It resulted in scooting my spring bases forward on the knit line for all of the holes. Now I do have big feet (size 14), but perhaps something like that might be incorporated into the instructions. Or maybe they are sufficient for the majority of users.

Anyway, thanks for the help! I can't wait to go use these new fins!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom