Instructor bent after running out of air at 40m

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, a new thread would be appropriate.
Not really related to the original topic, but be interested to read it in English...

This guy, however, tells exactly what he did and exactly how it went sideways: no "pushing the limits a little" or "a discrepancy with our breathing rate and stuff". He bounced to triple-digits and ended up with 30-40 minutes of gas and 1hr+ of deco. He knew he was getting bent and on the way up he choose to share gas with the other two, one of whom was in blind panic and has drained their both' tanks completely. His story I'll take on face value any day.

Last edited:
The instructor timed me on land. He timed me again when I did it at depth timing me with the same timing device. Think it may have been a dive watch but not sure. He is also a tech instructor and had a number of different kinds of timers he could have used.
No, I mean if he was diving narked and timing you then the test isn’t a trues test. He needs to non - narkable to test you properly with trimix or nitrox.

I understand you though.

No, I mean if he was diving narked and timing you then the test isn’t a trues test. He needs to non - narkable to test you properly with trimix or nitrox.

I understand you though.
The only thing the instructor needs to do to administer the test is to start and stop the timer. Pretty much any drunken idiot can start and stop a watch. And considering that the test was done at 70 feet, an experienced diver will probably not be significantly impacted to administer the test.

This is a pretty easy way to demonstrate why you don’t trust your judgement at depth. Focus on a couple of mission critical tasks; depth, time, turn pressure. These two yahoos got into trouble doing risky, pooch screwing activities.

This is a pretty easy way to demonstrate why you don’t trust your judgement at depth. Focus on a couple of mission critical tasks; depth, time, turn pressure. These two yahoos got into trouble doing risky, pooch screwing activities.
I agree

This is a pretty easy way to demonstrate why you don’t trust your judgement at depth. Focus on a couple of mission critical tasks; depth, time, turn pressure...................

Hear, Hear and here, here (and, don't forget to do that while focusing on focusing if your a 'shooter', in the photographic sense)! :poke:

Last edited:
I used it along with my old capillary depth gauge a couple of years ago just for fun.
View attachment 473504

A friend's dad used to dive with the US military NATO base in Turkey in the 60s and 70s. This was his capillary depth gauge. Also made in Italy.
It's also meant to help work out the stop times based on bottom times, but I can't figure out how.

upload_2018-8-10_18-31-45.png

clip_image001.jpg

there was great MECHANICAL bend-a-matic :)
Scubapro SOS Dekometer demontiert
cadecbef29e42e1144da2dd7226bf604.jpg

It use very simple phisical simulation of one tissue
It has membrane and the soft bag with gas (helium i think). and two chambers, separated by this membrane.
And arrow just show difference of the pressure between two chambers. It is the same as gas saturation for one tissue compartment.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom