Instructor interested in teaching adaptive Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tstormdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hey all,
I'm an OW instructor who is interested in teaching Adaptive Scuba, but I am not sure where to start or to look. I thoroughly enjoy working with students who are young or not as comfortable as others. I enjoy taking the extra time to show these students the wonders of the underwater world. I would sincerely love to also help those who may have disabilities that may require some extra teaching & time. Water is known as the great equalizer. I would very much like to know where to start, who to contact to start down the path. Any help would be much appreciated.

Another option is HSA: Handicap Scuba Association

Geography might affect your choice.

pm pasley. he's passionate about this.

I just worked with Jim Elliot to get certified by Diveheart. This was an amazing class. Very tough. Not sure where you are located but we were able to put a class together and have Jim come to us.
superhero_new_art_w_trademark_small.jpg

If you have any questions or need some more help, I have tons of ideas. Best of Luck

Sorry I haven't done much with this thread lately, a busy schedule has caught up with me the last few days. As soon as things settle down a bit, I will start contacting people & comparing programs. Thanks for the information!

That is great, I look forward to hearing from you Tammy!

Dave Valaika

I'm an OW instructor who is interested in teaching Adaptive Scuba... would sincerely love to also help those who may have disabilities that may require some extra teaching & time. Water is known as the great equalizer. I would very much like to know where to start, who to contact to start down the path...

Hi Tammy. I'm a Course Director for NAUI and while I don't organize adaptive scuba instructor courses, I have worked with a talented IT who does. Sharon Kegeles runs the dive training program at Barry University in Miami. She is a regular in my ITCs where she works with future instructors to teach the skill and perspective that all instructors need to know how to adapt their teaching for students with different ability levels. Sharon runs adapted scuba instructor courses and does so with skill and compassion. It is a joy to watch (and participate). Best yet, you could do this in Miami or maybe even sneak down to Bonaire! (That's where I learned.) I'll point Sharon to this thread and the two of you can :callme: if you'd like. Good luck!:doctor:

I'd love to see more information about the instructor courses, as well. I'm signed up for a buddy course in a couple of months, but I'm interesting in becoming an instructor. I'm already an OW instructor. Is there a cross-over at instructor level or do I need to go through the buddy course first?

I helped with my first disabled vets SCUBA class recently and it was AMAZING!

With HSA, you just do the cross over and from being an instructor with NAUI, PADI, SSA or what ever agency to being an HSA instructor. Takes 3 days, the same as the buddy course. If you are an insturctor already I would encourage you to NOT take the buddy course but to take the Instructor course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom