Instructor Mandated Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From a shop perspective the best thing to have students see on the staff is the equipment that you want them to buy, or so I'm told. Similarly the best equipment to have the students use in class is the gear that the shop wants them to buy.

So would it not make sense to arrange for the best possible deals for the staff so that they can replace their equipment yearly with the stuff the shop wants to flog and turn your rental gear over so that you’re always renting this year model?

Thalassamania:
From a shop perspective the best thing to have students see on the staff is the equipment that you want them to buy, or so I'm told. Similarly the best equipment to have the students use in class is the gear that the shop wants them to buy.

So would it not make sense to arrange for the best possible deals for the staff so that they can replace their equipment yearly with the stuff the shop wants to flog and turn your rental gear over so that you’re always renting this year model?
It would be nice however some shops even when they go with so-called "key man pricing" it is really not that much below what the customer is getting it for. And as many if not most DM's are lucky to get a few bucks besides air, other discounts, and tips. It's not that easy to replace gear every year or even every two. I'm fortunate that I have 2 other jobs that actually pay the bills. But even so, why should I pay for a piece of gear on a regular basis that for me is only good in the pool or when doing classes. Our primary line has some nice stuff. My "official" DM stuff is mostly from that line. However they don't have a fin that performs as well as what I'm using now for me, a mask that fits right, or a suit that I can use. I have the bc, regs and comp. But as I'm moving into tech as well and their promised tech line is just a phantom and has been for almost two years since I first heard about it, I'm not holding my breath. And I'm certainly not going to let a shop, instructor, or manufacturer dictate what I'm going to use for my dives. At this point even if this line does materialize I'll not be getting it unless they comp me. I've got two perfectly good tech rigs ( one for singles and one for doubles) and don't need a third. It'll most likely be overpriced for me anyway and I'd rather spend the money on tech training.

Shop I'm interning with provides instructors/DMs doing a class with all gear no charge, which is great so I don't need to put my OWN gear in a pool three nights a week!

Also, this way every instructor and DM has the same config every time. No confusion by OW students if I can't make one night's class and someone else fills in.

RJP:
Shop I'm interning with provides instructors/DMs doing a class with all gear no charge, which is great so I don't need to put my OWN gear in a pool three nights a week!

Also, this way every instructor and DM has the same config every time. No confusion by OW students if I can't make one night's class and someone else fills in.

Same here. I use my personal stuff for fun dives and whatever the shop wants me to use when working. To the OP, I recommend not making a fuss, learn the equipment your instructor wants you to use during classes.

Going back to the snorkel (or PADI tube as its called here...)

Standards say you must have one. However as far as i can tell reading them they do NOT dictate you need to wear it on your mask at all times.

Would it be within standards to just fit it for the snorkel skills and then remove it immediately afterwards and shove it in a pocket or knife strap?

Im assuming shoving it up the side of a mask strap to demo reg/snorkel then pulling it back out and putting in a pocket wouldn't be within standards ? :)

String:
Going back to the snorkel (or PADI tube as its called here...)

Standards say you must have one. However as far as i can tell reading them they do NOT dictate you need to wear it on your mask at all times.

Would it be within standards to just fit it for the snorkel skills and then remove it immediately afterwards and shove it in a pocket or knife strap?

Im assuming shoving it up the side of a mask strap to demo reg/snorkel then pulling it back out and putting in a pocket wouldn't be within standards ? :)
When it’s not clearly defined it really comes down to the legal test of the “standard of practice” in the community. I doubt that PADI would pull for card for not wearing it on your mask, or that there would be a circumstance where not having it on your mask would contribute to an accident, but if there were to be such an accident I’m fairly certain that the legal finding of “standard of practice” in the community would be to have it attached to your mask.

Im not so much worried about an accident related to it (i think theres more chance of it causing one by being there). If im ok by standards to teach with it mainly stuffed into a knife strap only deploying it for the required parts of the lesson i will.

String:
Im not so much worried about an accident related to it (i think theres more chance of it causing one by being there). If im ok by standards to teach with it mainly stuffed into a knife strap only deploying it for the required parts of the lesson i will.
I can't see any problem with that except for the idea that it might be "setting a bad example." (which I do not think it is).

I believe, without consulting my PADI Guide is that the word used is "equiped" as in must be equiped with a snork.

I think this is deliberate as oposed to must wear or even use a snork.

My read is that as long as you have one available should conditions change and you would benifit from the snork that you can stow it... unless the dive plan calls for its use and deployment... as in a long surface swim.

Thalassamania:
I can't see any problem with that except for the idea that it might be "setting a bad example." (which I do not think it is).

Neither do i and i'd quite happily explain myself and my choice along with reasoning should anyone ask.

I wonder if its worth emailing PADI and asking them their official take on this. I also wonder if i'll get a straight answer or just a random ramble with legal disclaimer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom