Instructor or Shop in San Diego

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MT_Dweller

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm going to be travelling to San Diego in July and was hoping to get some diving in. My wife will be attending a conference the 20th-23rd, so I have these four days free. I was originally hoping to get on one of the charter boats, but it looks like they only run on the weekends. So I was thinking perhaps shore dives (if I could find a buddy or guide), or even taking a wreck class (if possible) during this time frame. Are there any local instructors or shops that are recommended by the board here? I plan to bring all my cold water gear sans tanks and weight, so I'd have to rent that equipment. I'll be staying downtown the entire week. Thanks for your help.

Pretty much everything related to San Diego diving is here: Divebums - A San Diego Dive Website

I'd guess July in San Diego you'd have a fairly decent chance of finding a buddy at LaJolla Cove - if you can find parking.

Try joining the Power Scuba meet-up also - there's probably someone who would meet you to dive at the Cove or LaJolla Shores.
They have a usual Thursday night dive but not that week for some reason.

They have a forum here or: Power Scuba: San Diego Scuba Diving (and Beyond) (La Jolla, CA) - Meetup

Thanks Power Scuba...do you have any recomendations regarding any of the shops or instructors? I see you are one...are you free on weekdays?

Thanks Power Scuba...do you have any recomendations regarding any of the shops or instructors? I see you are one...are you free on weekdays?

Bill @ Powerscuba is an excellent instructor and has a tremendous amount of experience; definitely would recommend him if you can arrange it.

If weekday availability is important to you and you have a hard time finding an instructor that's available, you might also consider San Diego Expeditions. This is a full time job for these guys, so weekdays might be more doable for them. SD Expeditions also guide dives and do almost any other scuba adventure in San Diego. There are a lot of great instructor options in San Diego, but this one of the top ones as far as local knowledge goes. Ask for Nick.

There's also an outfit called La Jolla Dive that should also be flexible enough to do weekdays. I've heard good things about them but I've never had first hand experience with them. Don't think they do wreck training but they do guided dives and other types of training.

Last edited:

The answer is slightly complicated. I AM an instructor, but I keep those activities separate from my job of President of Power Scuba... because PS is a non-profit charity and I like to avoid charges of conflict of interest.

Since my profile here is that of Power Scuba, I'm prohibited from talking here about any of my personal endeavors.

Clear as mud? :)

Bill
858-345-0078

Also: PS does not actively endorse any shop or instructor over the other. Mandated by our by-laws.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom