Instructors and shops - How to NOT impress me...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crush

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A new scuba shop is opening up near me. I called the shop and chatted with the owner, who is also the only instructor. Here is how he really failed to impress me:

1. When I told him that my daughter was 8 and that, at 10, I would encourage (but not force her) to learn to dive, he immediately started pushing the "Seal Team" (yes, you know which agency) on me (which you can begin at eight) and wanted to get her into the water ASAP. I was reluctant and said that I wanted her to improve her swimming and snorkeling skills first. He continued to push the Seal Team idea and it became clear to me that he wanted to start earning money from her participation despite my reservations;
2. I began to toy with him. I asked him how and when he became an instructor. Apparently we went fro zero to hero in three months in Mexico a short while ago. It is unclear to me whether he has ever dived in our local cold, dark waters; and
3. Finally I "confided" in him, indicating that my daughter was a very weak swimmer (which was untrue) and that I feared that she might never pass his agency's swim requirements which, I added, were so very meaningless because the point of scuba is to be able to breathe air under water, thereby eliminating the need to learn to swim (and I don't for a second believe this - I simply lied to him). In response he told me that, if he gets her into his Seal Team program, he can promote her "from within the program" while she continues to learn (i.e., pay for) specialties so that she can be promoted into a Junior OW diver and never have to pass a rigid swim requirement.

Needless to say, I will have nothing to do with that shop. I have no reason to think that the "promotion from within" is possible and he likely promised me something which his agency would disapprove of, if they knew.

So, instructors and shops, if you want to impress me tell me that there is no way in hell that you will pass my kid unless she/he learns everything to your satisfaction, meets all the requirements, and, in your professional opinion, she/he is capable of handling the underwater environment.

For a "shop" to impress me they only need to have a good inventory and sell the stuff to me a at competitive price.
As for the Instructor, they have a much steeper hill to climb.

I can and do make a clear separation, even if the owner of the shop is the primary instructor.

I wish I had more parents like you to deal with. To many of them expect their little ones to pass and I get yelled at for wanting to spend more time with them. At no additional charge even.

I'd say the quality of the instructors often reflect the quality of the shop. However, that's not always the case.

I know of a shop where one employee sometimes aggressively pushes products to customers without always fully considering the divers' needs. However, the actual sales representatives are great and give you all the facts about the products, giving certain suggestions depending on your needs. The customer service of that shop is some of the best I've ever seen, and the instructors are excellent. Just because one employee/member isn't that great doesn't mean that the shop overall isn't great.

In your case, because he's the only instructor and also the owner, that reflects pretty badly on the shop, in my opinion.

Well first let me start off by saying I am terribly sorry that you had a less then desirable experience. Not all shops are this way and I hope it does not deter you from trying to move forward with your plans of getting your daughter in the water to dive. There are a number of options you can do if you want to take it slow and he should have been encouraging of these as opposed to get in now and make me some money.

You can research for example aquariums that have dive shows and take her to them and let her get a first hand look at diving in a comfortable environment to where she can watch and begin to see and understand the sport safely on the opposite side of the glass. The seal team is designed for younger divers and is a very neat program but its also one that the diver has to be mentaly prepared for. At 8 years old we often see alot of kids who think diving is the coolest thing on earth but when confronted with the chance to do so they get very scared and rightfuly so since they have never been exposed to it.

Now I do admire your desire to start her out with fins and snorkles first and let her acclimate to the environment and though its not taught at my center very often (Rarely in fact) there is a course called a skin diver course which might be a good start as well. Its no gear attached except the basics (Mask boots fins and snorkle) and it shows people how to do the proper tequniques for fun snorkle diving.

Again I am sorry for the trouble that was caused and I hope you find a shop to work with that provides you with a fun and memorable experience for your daughter.

I'm not sure any shop I've ever been into has ever impressed me. My latest trip went something like:

"I'm looking for new fins. I'm not interested in bio-fins or splits. I see you have Jet Fins over there. Do you have size XL in stock?"

"Oh no, we don't keep those in stock. They are just too heavy. We can order them for you though! BTW, we have these Seawing Nova fins over here. This are what you really want! You'll never need another fin."

Of course this is the same shop that sells a wetsuit for $260 that I can get on Leisure Pro for $172.

I guess I had forgotten during my retirement how annoying the LDS business model is.

I'm not sure any shop I've ever been into has ever impressed me. My latest trip went something like:

"I'm looking for new fins. I'm not interested in bio-fins or splits. I see you have Jet Fins over there. Do you have size XL in stock?"

"Oh no, we don't keep those in stock. They are just too heavy. We can order them for you though! BTW, we have these Seawing Nova fins over here. This are what you really want! You'll never need another fin."

Of course this is the same shop that sells a wetsuit for $260 that I can get on Leisure Pro for $172.

I guess I had forgotten during my retirement how annoying the LDS business model is.

Well it is unfortunate that the LDS can not compete with the sheer volume sales and discounts that the internet retailer can but I agree with the pushy sales. I bought some twin jet maxes that were advertised as being the greatest thing since sliced bread. Now they are good fins but simply put they just are not able to perform the way my bio fins do.

But one thing that I do feel is important to state is when dealing with the internet just remember to buy what you can get serviced localy. Otherwise this can become a challenge to get service done if the nearest center is 100s of miles away!

I wish I had more parents like you to deal with. To many of them expect their little ones to pass and I get yelled at for wanting to spend more time with them. At no additional charge even.

This might be the most disturbing post I've read on SB to date. I believe you but it is unbelieveable if you know what I mean.

That's what the post office, UPS, and FedEx is for. Sometimes you get better service faster by sending it out.

Yes.
Before I knew better I wanted to buy a 5' primary hose so I ordered one through my LDS. Though I specified black they ordered a yellow one, which I did not accept. 8 weeks later I received my hose and it only cost me $100.
Recently I replaced that hose over the internet. 5' Miflex delivered in less than a week $41.

I wanted an unpainted 40cuft. stage bottle so I asked around at the local shops. None in stock. lowest price $220.
I ordered it online from Florida. 1 week free delivery $135 taxes included.

Back
Top Bottom