Instructors doing "trust me" dives.

Have you done Trust Me dives? (Choose most applicable)

• Yes, I've led someone on a trust me dive.

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Yes, I've followed someone on a trust me dive

Votes: 35 41.2%
  • No, but I would consider leading/following someone.

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • No, I would never do either.

Votes: 42 49.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Borrowing your line for an illustration, Dee -

Where does a newb learn that? On this thread alone, the definition of a trust-me dive varies somewhat wildly.My basic Open Water students learn that. Every one should. I teach them to not even trust me.

I can say my dive-buddy is a 'trust-me' diver as I've heard him say, "I trust <name> to not get me into trouble." Maybe it's because I select the dive ops, and they're good about ascertaining our level. Then he is wrong. I trust my buddy to be there. I trust me for everything else. I hope they can help in an emergency, but an insta-buddy may not. And you don't trust dive ops either to ascertain your level. You know your level and capabilities. Don't exceed them unless you have trained for it or are mentored(which means You have planned and are knowledgable about the parameters and needs of the dive.

I've learned a lot from ScubaBoard, and I would not follow a DM into a wreck - but there was a time when I would have . . . So how would a newb learn that, if s/he is a vacation diver?
This is taught from Open Water, but many people prefer the McDonalds Coffee approach- let everyone else be responsible-. The newb should have gotten good training and then dived more than the once a year Bahamas trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom