Instructors who yell for no reason

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is always reason to yell. IJS

We do this for fun. Your purse/wallet, your choice.

You (We) agree to immerse yourself in a medium that will quickly extinguish human life. You have the SLIGHTEST doubt about your mentor???

If you have to yell to get your point across, you're doing it wrong. Learning should be a positive process, not an exercise in enduring abuse.

Different people have different learning styles, and respond to different teaching styles in many different manners. If an instructors teaching style doesn't work for you, don't take instruction from them.

For some people, being coddled and handheld works great, for others, not so much. For some, a hard line drill instructor type of learning environment is the best way to achieve maximum performance, for others, it doesn't work at all.

Does it mean that the guy that yells is a bad instructor? Not at all. Does it mean that the handholding, coddling instructor is a good instructor? Not at all.

Edited to add: Keep in mind that different situations call for different levels of gravity. Marie's friends were taking a cavern/intro to cave class, not a participation trophy recreational level class. I would expect a much higher standard of performance required out of a class such as this, and would expect a far higher bar to be set. The accident slope in cave diving is very steep. An instructor who doesn't call you on your screw ups is not doing you any favors. Depending on the attitude of the student, maybe a harsher tone is required to get them to collate their fecal matter.

Last edited:
Note: this has absolutely nothing to do with my instructors or anyone else at my shop.

I am deliberately being vague as to specific instructor as I'm addressing the teaching philosophy/mindset, not this exact instructor.

Two people I know have taken a class with a well-known tech instructor. I was told that if you weren't diving perfectly, you were yelled at. Divers were not doing anything dangerous, just not exactly on spot.

One of these people was urging me to take this class from this specific instructor, but once I heard how instructor acted towards students, I knew this was not an instructor I wanted to learn under. Instructors I've taken OW/Advanced/Rescue from are tough, but patient and encouraging. Being chewed out does not happen unless you have done something dangerous, and even then, it is done privately and not in front of the entire class. I have observed that myself.

As a diver who has struggled with some things, I find the prospect of being yelled at when one is trying hard, but struggling to get something, to be very stressful and extremely unhelpful. Such has happened to me in non-diving situations. I have walked out in those incidents after giving said non-diving instructors a very large piece of my mind.

When someone is investigating instructors, I wonder how many people actually ask about the teaching style? And why do some instructors think yelling at students without good cause is an effective way to motivate them?
this sounds like a story i herd today..... exactly the story..... didn't i see you today at dris.... hello.

I specifically chose my SM instructor (also teaches ITT, AN/DP, as well as OW and Nitrox) based on teaching style (took nitrox from same instructor) - very tough, but patient and no yelling (and awesome sense of humor).
Note: this has absolutely nothing to do with my instructors or anyone else at my shop.

I am deliberately being vague as to specific instructor as I'm addressing the teaching philosophy/mindset, not this exact instructor.

Two people I know have taken a class with a well-known tech instructor. I was told that if you weren't diving perfectly, you were yelled at. Divers were not doing anything dangerous, just not exactly on spot.

One of these people was urging me to take this class from this specific instructor, but once I heard how instructor acted towards students, I knew this was not an instructor I wanted to learn under. Instructors I've taken OW/Advanced/Rescue from are tough, but patient and encouraging. Being chewed out does not happen unless you have done something dangerous, and even then, it is done privately and not in front of the entire class. I have observed that myself.

As a diver who has struggled with some things, I find the prospect of being yelled at when one is trying hard, but struggling to get something, to be very stressful and extremely unhelpful. Such has happened to me in non-diving situations. I have walked out in those incidents after giving said non-diving instructors a very large piece of my mind.

When someone is investigating instructors, I wonder how many people actually ask about the teaching style? And why do some instructors think yelling at students without good cause is an effective way to motivate them?

I specifically chose my SM instructor (also teaches ITT, AN/DP, as well as OW and Nitrox) based on teaching style (took nitrox from same instructor) - very tough, but patient and no yelling (and awesome sense of humor).

i think i listened to this exact story today at dris...... same person?
the only reason an instructor should yell is if he has terretts

I find disappointed dad voice is sufficient for most students, females especially. Ending the dive with "tell me how you think the dive went" is enough to get the point across. The only time I ever find the need to yell is when dealing with ROTC students and they are pushing my buttons. They learn real fast that they won't win, but I don't find yelling to be the best way to get your point across. Even when students seriously mess up to the point that they could have easily killed themselves *rare occasion*, I don't find yelling to be the best method, but that's just me

Is there any reason why the student can't yell back? I mean, student is paying a good portion of the instructor's pay, right? Unless you're a drill sergeant, yelling at a student who is trying to learn is a big time DB move.

My experience has been that abusers, regardless of their vocation or other position in life, behave the way they do because they find it personally gratifying to do so, not because they think it is the most effective way to get a job done.

I can't picture many cases that a need to yell would be effective in dive classes. Yelling is a more a concept of group teaching, even in the military. It is more about making the correction for one trainee in a loud manner, so that the others around them also understand what mistake was made, so the issue hopefully doesn't happen in the future. Unfortunately, too many wanna-be drill instructors only have the movies to go off of and think they need to chew out the individual in that manner. Save the yelling for those must stop immediately safety issues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom