Insurance for the the rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TTPaws

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hey all,

With my brand new AP Diving EVP showing up next week and a trip to St. Croix in 3 weeks and then a trip to Scotland I was thinking of insuring the unit against damage from airlines or even it falling off the truck bed. I looked at the DAN sponsored one and they quoted ~$350 (USD) annual. The only other bit of kit that I have insured is my camera, if it matters.

I still need to check with my renters policy.

Thanks

I'd go with your home policy or even credit card travel and baggage loss coverage. Some credit cards (Amex, Chase Saphire) have really good baggage loss coverage.

Rebreathers are pretty robust. Damage I have had over time is usually some $300 plastic part that probably only cost $5 to manufacture or Fischer connector that also costs $300. The rest is your typical scuba regulators and BC's.

As it turns out my rebreather was completely trashed by Westjet baggage handlers the other day. I know you think megs are indestructible but the condition of the case makes leads me to believe it fell off the cart and was dragged for a bit since it had damage on all sides.
Anyway my home insurance will be paying most of the $6k repair bill with Westjet covering their max of $2k

When I got my Revo I looked at the collection of dive gear and thought I better cover my ass on this stuff. Had a talk with my insurance agent. Covered under home owners insurance. Told him how much I spent, still no problem.

But it was worth the talk. You may want to up coverage of renter's insurance, just so if the place burns down you have it all covered.

If you owned a home in FL, your rebreather would be covered by your HO Policy anywhere in the world. I can't speak to your state, but your agent can. Or send me a copy of your EXCLUSIONS and I can tell you.

If you owned a home in FL, your rebreather would be covered by your HO Policy anywhere in the world. I can't speak to your state, but your agent can. Or send me a copy of your EXCLUSIONS and I can tell you.

Thanks, I will be calling my agent tomorrow, I was going to do it today but I got really busy at work. It is through State Farm. If I can't understand it, I'll take you up on the offer.

As it turns out my rebreather was completely trashed by Westjet baggage handlers the other day. I know you think megs are indestructible but the condition of the case makes leads me to believe it fell off the cart and was dragged for a bit since it had damage on all sides.
Anyway my home insurance will be paying most of the $6k repair bill with Westjet covering their max of $2k

Do you have anything extra on your homeowner's that covers your Meg or was it covered in the general policy?

I couldn’t bring myself to like this post but I do appreciate you sharing your experience.

I talked to my insurance guy and it turns out that my renters insurance would cover it, but only if it was stolen or something like that. For damage from airlines, or even dropping I need a Personal Articles Policy (PAP) which would be about $60 a year and would cover repairs as well as total replacement. I'm waiting until they check it with the underwriters and then I'll probably go with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom