Insurance for trip to Maldives- Help needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kc2002

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello,

I am planning a trip to the Maldives on the Aggressor boat Jan 30- Feb 7, 2010. I will be traveling in India for three weeks before that. I want to buy DAN or Dive Assure mainly for trip insurance as I am afraid that I might get catch a cold before my trip to the Maldives and I will be unable to do any diving. Do any of you know if the trip insurance will cover this eventuality? Will I have to jump through hoops to get my claim paid? I am looking to mainly protect my investment of $2500, which is the cost of the liveaboard for a week. Thanks.

yeh... whats the deal with insurance? i recently did a trip where i was uninsured and obviously nothing bad happened but i guess it couldve... should i have been allowed to dive without insurance? and if its illegal to do so am i liable? or is it the company?

yeh... whats the deal with insurance? i recently did a trip where i was uninsured and obviously nothing bad happened but i guess it couldve... should i have been allowed to dive without insurance? and if its illegal to do so am i liable? or is it the company?

I'm not a legal expert! I doubt it is 'illegal' to dive without insurance. Many liveaboards will require you to show proof of dive insurance. I've been on ones that can sell you a short DAN policy to those who do not have cover.

The bills can mount up and become VERY EXPENSIVE if you are not insured. You could face covering not only the medical costs but also the air evacuation costs as well.

You really have to look at the details of any travel insurance policies because many of them don't really provide adequate coverage for diving and some exclude diving activities. DAN Europe offers reasonably price policies so it could be money worth spending even if you never have to use it.

Last year I had planned a trip to the Maldives In January 2010. I had taken a trip cancellation policy from Dive Assure. As it happened, I threw my back three weeks prior to the trip and had to undergo intensive therapy combined with bed rest for six weeks! Obviously, the dive trip had to be cancelled. I was in India at that time and I got back to the US late March 2010. I sent all my medical bills to Dan assure to prove that I was medically unfit and hence my cancellation. I received a check from them within two weeks covering the entire cost of my trip that I had insured for.

I am planning another trip to the Maldives in July and the first thing I will do is buy insurance from Dive Assure!

Last edited:
I sent all my medical bills to Dan assure to prove that I was medically unfit and hence my cancellation. I received a check from them within two weeks covering the entire cost of my trip that I had insured for.

Hi kc2002,

You mean DiveAssure, correct?

Regards,

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom