Intake air dryer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gkndivebum

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm seeking opinions - my brother-in-law is trying to talk me into putting
some sort of air dryer on the intake side of my SA-6.

He suggested a refrigerated air dryer, but the prices are, um, painful.
So we started kicking around the idea of using a desiccant cannister,
much like you would use on the output side of a shop compressor for
air tools.

Any thoughts?

I'm seeking opinions - my brother-in-law is trying to talk me into putting
some sort of air dryer on the intake side of my SA-6.

He suggested a refrigerated air dryer, but the prices are, um, painful.
So we started kicking around the idea of using a desiccant cannister,
much like you would use on the output side of a shop compressor for
air tools.

Any thoughts?

Probably the cheapest and easiest approach is to pipe your intake into a "conditioned" space. By this I mean any space that is air conditioned, like inside your living space, not the garage.

The air conditioner is in fact a refrigerated air dryer.

Keep any piping short and BIG to avoid restricting the inlet. I'd suggest using a vacuum gauge at the inlet of your stick to make sure there is no restriction.

Tobin

Tobin is right ... putting a desiccant stack on the inlet may just toast your compressor by causing an inlet restriction.

Another idea is to run the final stage cooler piping through your beer keg reefer before hitting your moisture separator. Doesn't do anything for the input air but helps in the outlet moisture removal. Plus, it's a good excuse to buy a beer cooler for the garage! :D

Tobin is right ... putting a desiccant stack on the inlet may just toast your compressor by causing an inlet restriction.

Another idea is to run the final stage cooler piping through your beer keg reefer before hitting your moisture separator. Doesn't do anything for the input air but helps in the outlet moisture removal. Plus, it's a good excuse to buy a beer cooler for the garage! :D

I like the way this guy thinks!!:shelli:

Back
Top Bottom